Warming up your engine?

I never let mine warm up, but I always take it easy for the first 5 minutes of driving when it's warmed up.

When I say "take it easy", I mean that I don't ever give it full throttle, I take my for off the gas and let the auto tranny shift gears smoothly, etc..

I keep mine in the garage when it's cold. and most of the rest of the year as well. My company car can sit outside.

Yes, my TJ also stays in the garage all year round, which is a big plus!

Actually, we haven't had any -20 degree days so far this winter and I've been able to start up and go. On a real cold day I would bend or break my shift lever off if I don't let it warm up a bit. It's a little stiff at -10, and that's overnight, parked in my unheated garage.

One thing I've noticed for sure is on manual transmissions they always shift noticeably better once they're warmed up.

Then they are cold everything is notchy.

Reactions: TheFrenchMan
100% accurate.

I never idle longer than it takes to sweep off the snow.
Extreme cold.. like 40 below.. I'm moving as soon as the lifter clatter quits.. indicating the oil is moving.

BUT I still let the engine warm up.
No full throttle. Way below the speed limit.
But yes... start moving as soon as possible. To warm up the engine faster... Turn the heater off. Why blow cold air? Why run the coolant thru a second radiator when you want the motor to heat up.

And YES, the fuel running rich at warm up DOES wash the oil off the cylinder walls. All motors run best under load. Crazy to hit the command start same time as the coffee perk.

I've driven vehicles as cold as -70. Too often people think the cab is warm, the tranny shifts easy.. have at 'er. Full throttle.. Forgetting the difs as still -70. The tires, shocks, joints... Way easier to start moving when the cab is still frigid. And realize nothing else is warm yet either.

My father, a mechanic with 50 years of experience always told me to start it up and let it idle for at least 30 seconds-1 min to ensure the oil has completely moved through the engine, then drive it easy for the first couple min until you start to get it up to temp. Remember that metal expands with heat, and everything runs smoother once it's up to operating temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and billiebob
What do you guys think about this? Is there truth to it?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/biggest-myth-warming-car-winter-164138459.html

I've always been in the habit of letting my vehicles warm up in the morning, simply because they shift better when they're warm for some reason.

So what am I missing where he says letting it idle is detrimental. I get the articles point about running rich and, while doing so, the gasoline acts as a solvent but isn't it going to run rich regardless if it's moving or not if it's cold? If he's implying that driving it causes the engine to warm up more quickly and therefore less damage is done because it gets to operating temperature faster then I'd get it but I'm not seeing that in his explanation.

Personally, I don't let it warm up to make it drive better, I warm it up because I don't want to be cold any longer than necessary. Still trying to figure out why I haven't moved out of Michigan ;-)

My father, a mechanic with 50 years of experience always told me to start it up and let it idle for at least 30 seconds-1 min to ensure the oil has completely moved through the engine, then drive it easy for the first couple min until you start to get it up to temp. Remember that metal expands with heat, and everything runs smoother once it's up to operating temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This ^^^ Best Practice

This is kinda what I meant by dire it and drive it. No se3nse at all in letting it sit there and idle.

15 seconds and go, just like the instructional VCR tape said. I agree with his advice, but not his reasoning.