Warn 9.5ti Winch Build Thread

I thought I wanted to do something like this, and after looking for a “deal” for a couple months, I finally gave up and bought an new M8000-S.

But I’m going to follow your build though, cuz it never hurts to learn something new.

I thought I wanted to do something like this, and after looking for a “deal” for a couple months, I finally gave up and bought an new M8000-S.

But I’m going to follow your build though, cuz it never hurts to learn something new.
Thanks. I like puzzles and this is one. Thankfully, there’s some great guys helping me along.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
First two pics are some of the gears after chem-dip. I got another set in there now.

I took some shots of the brake and I can tell where those fit, I just don’t see how that piece comes off. I didn’t want to force it yet.

also took a shot of the inside of the motor case. Looks surface rusty but nothing broke or missing.

31103EBF-B086-4D11-A3ED-E47155DBA315.jpeg

48F50A8F-03A4-411B-B69B-B1DC4618B979.jpeg

457967D3-DB03-4C90-92FE-C3727627A608.jpeg

2481EDA8-9AB8-4AE2-B472-D50ACED50D4E.jpeg

3CCAFA70-C280-4FEE-A8B8-158477A442B5.jpeg

First two pics are some of the gears after chem-dip. I got another set in there now.

I took some shots of the brake and I can tell where those fit, I just don’t see how that piece comes off. I didn’t want to force it yet.

also took a shot of the inside of the motor case. Looks surface rusty but nothing broke or missing.

View attachment 209181

View attachment 209182

View attachment 209183

View attachment 209184

View attachment 209185
You will want to make sure the planets spin freely or soak them in solvent for a while longer. That brake is garbage. Besides the corrosion you are not supposed to take it apart as the spring will not work properly again. The motor needs to have the brush plate separated so you can clean and inspect that as well.

Reactions: Midtenn
Been working on a remodel of my moms bathroom so not many updates. I have chem dipped more of the gears to get them all cleaned.

I do have some concerns about the bearing at the end of the motor. I googled bearing knife to no avail. I did see some pullers that may work.

Good thing all this needs chem dipped during a busy time. Easy way to progress while doing other things.

9227FFE5-A89B-4E51-B75D-3EC292D2C23A.jpeg

7AB43766-B406-4B46-B002-7CF6D3053C76.jpeg

A893895B-A029-4E1D-AD32-A05F5CF7F71F.jpeg

Been working on a remodel of my moms bathroom so not many updates. I have chem dipped more of the gears to get them all cleaned.

I do have some concerns about the bearing at the end of the motor. I googled bearing knife to no avail. I did see some pullers that may work.

Good thing all this needs chem dipped during a busy time. Easy way to progress while doing other things.

View attachment 209708

View attachment 209709

View attachment 209710
Its correct name is bearing splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O866WE/?tag=wranglerorg-20 You may be able to find a motor shop or place that does press work and have them do it for a couple dollars.

Any idea what these pieces go to? They aren’t on the diagram anywhere.

View attachment 209150

View attachment 209151

View attachment 209152
IDK if your brake is salvageable or not but I remember reading on a Warn winch build thread somewhere(when I rebuilt my xd900i) that if you send the parts to warn they'll reclock it for you.

For future reference, when removing the brake from the drum you need to capture the brake with a hose clamp or something to keep it from expanding.

So after trying chem-dip, I find that a gallon of mineral spirits does a better job at the grease. So with respect to the gears, getting all the small clumps of old grease is better done with mineral spirits than chem dip.

Also, wear gloves. The old moly grease does not come off easily.

IDK if your brake is salvageable or not but I remember reading on a Warn winch build thread somewhere(when I rebuilt my xd900i) that if you send the parts to warn they'll reclock it for you.

For future reference, when removing the brake from the drum you need to capture the brake with a hose clamp or something to keep it from expanding.

Gotcha. That can save some serious coin. What I’m trying to do now is figure out how to get the brake off. According to videos, the two cone shaped items should just slide off the bar. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I purchased it like this and it appears the prior owner just randomly took things apart. I don’t know anything about winches and thought this would be a good way to learn.

@Midtenn I’ve got a complete working Warn 9.5 Ti I’d be willing to sell you. The free spool lever gets hung up sometimes and probably needs some investigation. Doesn’t effect winching operation. Still on the Jeep. Willing to make you a really good deal.

In a major setback, it appears the motor is shot. There's potentially ways around the brake being disassembled poorly, but this project may end up in the scrap heap or I hope to find a bad one somewhere.