Warn VR8 versus Smittybilt X20

What actually fails on the hobofreight, smittybilt, etc winches?

The only non-working ones I've seen so far are from corroded connections or other wiring issues.

How long ago was this? In recent years, I've been reading nothing but bad stuff about their customer service and warranty.
All lines Chris? or just the Chinese bilt bottom feeders.

But seems to be the trend. 20 years ago DeWalt was the industry leader. Then they entered the box store wars. Now Milwalkie is the hot buy. I'm thinking Warn is going the DeWalt route. Way too many shareholders controlling R&D, manufacturing and marketing.

All lines Chris? or just the Chinese bilt bottom feeders.

But seems to be the trend. 20 years ago DeWalt was the industry leader. Then they entered the box store wars. Now Milwalkie is the hot buy. I'm thinking Warn is going here too. Way too many shareholders controlling R&D, manufacturing and marketing.

Supposedly DeWalt has gotten really good in recent years (they turned things around from what I read).

I can attest to it as well, as I have a number of high end DeWalt cordless tools and absolutely love them. Of course I'm not using them for a living though, so take that for what it is.

Reactions: Alex01
Supposedly DeWalt has gotten really good in recent years (they turned things around from what I read).

I can attest to it as well, as I have a number of high end DeWalt cordless tools and absolutely love them. Of course I'm not using them for a living though, so take that for what it is.
They make 2 lines, the DWxxxx models are the high end. And the DWxxxxx are the Chinese knock offs for the box stores. 4 numerals, will have the best USA quality parts. The 5 numerals are built to a price point with some steel components replaced with plastic.

I was at a buying show when I heard the story. WM wanted containers of DW tools for Fathers Day and asked for the best price. DW quoted $98.00. WM said we'll pay $88.00. And DW substituted plastic for steel to fill the order.... and the 5 numeral tools were born.

Exactly what the Warn VR line is all about. A price point to put Warn on everyones front bumper.

They make 2 lines, the DWxxxx models are the high end. And the DWxxxxx are the Chinese knock offs for the box stores. 4 numerals, will have the best USA quality parts. The 5 numerals are built to a price point with some steel components replaced with plastic.

I was at a buying show when I heard the story. WM wanted containers of DW tools for Fathers Day and asked for the best price. DW quoted $98.00. WM said we'll pay $88.00. And DW substituted plastic for steel to fill the order.... and the 5 numeral tools were born.

Exactly what the Warn VR line is all about. A price point to put Warn on everyones front bumper.

That explains it then. All of my DeWalt tools are the top of the line ones you mentioned.

I suspect a lot of companies are doing it like this now. Making a higher end line for those of us who want to pay more for better quality, and then making a cheaper line for those "budget conscious" people.

Makes perfect sense. The Warn VR line is just a way to get a "Warn" logo on your bumper without paying for the Warn price tag (or quality).

I watched DeWalt go after some guy for reselling some black and yellow tools on eBay that he picked up at garage sales to make a few bucks. After that bullshit, they can lick my nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
or warranty
you get what you pay for
Ya'll do it however you like. I have a few that I will pay for new or used before I will accept and use new free versions of.
Anything Ford
Dewalt
Smittybilt
Autozone except some maintenance and cleaning supplies.
A-1 Cardone
More if I care to think some.