WARN winch restoration possible?

JESTER801

Purchased this 2000 Jeep TJ and it came with a WARN winch M6000 actual model number unknown. Seems to not have been used for a long time. Want to swtich the Steel Cable to Synthentic and get the WARN winch restorted/rebuilt to working order.

My question is it cost effective to do this or should I just purchase a new winch?

Thanks!
WARN WINCH.jpeg

Really depends on what it looks like inside if it is worth the cost of repair. Just have to tear it apart and find out. Depending on the serial number on that M6 you might be able change the motor and make into an xd9000.

Reactions: astjp2
Really depends on what it looks like inside if it is worth the cost of repair. Just have to tear it apart and find out. Depending on the serial number on that M6 you might be able change the motor and make into an xd9000.
I will look into the xd9000 possible upgrade. I am going to be working with a local shop in the next few weeks to get into it and see what can be done. Based on the few searches and forums that I read it seems like WARN winch is worth restoring/rebuilding. Just curious if anyone had any experience with the process. Possible cost savings.

I just got done with one. The motor might be an expensive swap. But less than a new winch. M8000 might be a better fit.

It's not hard at all to work on winches.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/warn-xd9000i.48976/
Great writeup and documentation of your restoration on your WARN. Great buy and great work! thanks for linking that!

When you say expensive swap? Like ballpark on cost? I have been saving for a long time to do this TJ project right, so I am curious.

I was just happy when I bought it the Previous Owner spent some money on a bunch of WARN items I dont have to buy.

Last edited:
I looked up the motor and the m6000 and m8000 use the same motor. So you may need to swap the gears to up the pulling capabilities. Or just put on the synthetic and call it good. I went with TRE.

https://www.montanajacks.com/collections/warn-m8000-truck-winch-parts/products/wrn-77893
Parts

https://www.montanajacks.com/pages/premium-series-parts
Excellent Info. I should have it into the shop in the next few weeks, so I am going to take all this info and see what they think. I want to be able to understand how everything works, so I can make educated choices on it! Thank you for the help!

A Warn would have to be REALLY "Worn" to make it not a candidate for repair/refurbishment. Chances are pretty good that there's not much, if anything, wrong with it - but you won't know until you take it to bits to see. My used one really just needed a good cleanup and re-lubrication with one small part replaced - and some repainting. I too went with TRE line and thimble.

If you like blow-by-blow, OCD detailed accounts of things like this, my adventures with my Warn starts here: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-four.htm - and continues for an additional 3 pages. Your experience will be different! ;)

ETA: Several pages ahead of the above tome is the "winding on TRE line" page: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/thirty-four.htm

A Warn would have to be REALLY "Worn" to make it not a candidate for repair/refurbishment. Chances are pretty good that there's not much, if anything, wrong with it - but you won't know until you take it to bits to see. My used one really just needed a good cleanup and re-lubrication with one small part replaced - and some repainting. I too went with TRE line and thimble.

If you like blow-by-blow, OCD detailed accounts of things like this, my adventures with my Warn starts here: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-four.htm - and continues for an additional 3 pages. Your experience will be different! ;)

ETA: Several pages ahead of the above tome is the "winding on TRE line" page: http://doubleveil.net/jeep/thirty-four.htm
Thank you for the link! I am reading it now!

Really appreciate all the help. I am trouble shooting everything piece by piece before I go offroading. Dont want to get stuck or have issues and be other peoeple problem on the trail!

Thank you for the link! I am reading it now!

Really appreciate all the help. I am trouble shooting everything piece by piece before I go offroading. Dont want to get stuck or have issues and be other peoeple problem on the trail!
Hope it isn't boring as Hell and that it helps. I too am a newbie, so am pretty careful/cautious about everything I'm doing.

Hope it isn't boring as Hell and that it helps. I too am a newbie, so am pretty careful/cautious about everything I'm doing.
I am in the same boat! haven't done anything on jeeps in 20+ years. Good news is 95 and 98 where my last jeeps. So glad I got a 2000 TJ because I feel right at home.

Reactions: Zorba
I will look into the xd9000 possible upgrade. I am going to be working with a local shop in the next few weeks to get into it and see what can be done. Based on the few searches and forums that I read it seems like WARN winch is worth restoring/rebuilding. Just curious if anyone had any experience with the process. Possible cost savings.
There are three components that make up the majority of the cost for a rebuild. The motor $200-300, the control assembly up to $310 and the brake $140. From there it is typically gaskets, bushings and grease.

It was expensive to restore this old winch that I bought but i had it done and was in around 800 bucks with synthetic and a brand new motor I could have bought a brand new m8000 and I think if you dont want the extra 1000lb pulling capacity that just buy the m8000 off of amazon.

IMG-2950.jpg

It was expensive to restore this old winch that I bought but i had it done and was in around 800 bucks with synthetic and a brand new motor I could have bought a brand new m8000 and I think if you dont want the extra 1000lb pulling capacity that just buy the m8000 off of amazon.

View attachment 255074
It would be cost efffective if I had the Winch restored and swapped to synthetic line right?

M8000 is like $680 and then Synthetic line on top of that is another 100-200?

If you didnt need to replace the motor and your fine with 6000 lbs then it would be the most cost effective to restore
Sorry is this is a dumb question, but curb weight of a 2000 tJ is like 3,500 add 800-1000lbs for people/gear. Isn't 6000lbs Winch enough?

Sorry is this is a dumb question, but curb weight of a 2000 tJ is like 3,500 add 800-1000lbs for people/gear. Isn't 6000lbs Winch enough?
yes it should be more then plenty I just like to have the xd9000I because thats what my friends have and they've never had any problems most of the time they just sit in the highschool parking lot but when they get used there more than enough to pull a tj out. Id just restore yours and get the TRE rope like others recommend I have warn line but its all preference.

This is dependent on the conditions you wheel in. For most moderate trails 6k should be adequate. Start playing in big mud, nasty hill climbs or deep snow and 6k is a little on the light side. A snatch block will also make up for a loss of single line pulling power it just takes more time to get out.

@Blackjack hooked me up with the big motor for 8074 and the new top to make it an 8274, it was so fas that it was scary and full pull was 75’ fpm... about twice as fast as the badlands and I spent a rediclous amount of money on it. The only thing I still want is the gigglepin reversing solenoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack
I tore apart an x8000i I got for $250 that looked gross with seized cable but cleaned it up and bought a new motor for $150 on amazon.

Costed nearly the same as a new winch in the end but was a fun project and has lasted me the last 3 years.

I also did the same thing to a 8274 but it needed the brake discs and some other parts. They are pretty simple in design, usually just a planetary gear set that attaches to the motor and spool with some sort of brake mechanism.

If you have the time and are curious go for it, just make sure you lookup parts first as some have less support and cost more if you need to replace parts, but often they are fine. I like the ones you pack with grease and this looks like one of them. Usually means less chance of drying out and seizing.

The solenoid box looks like it has seen better days though.