Warn XD9000i, what to look for buying used

Ole Rusty

Shadetree Mechanic
Lifetime Supporting Member
Two used XD9000i have poppies up for sale.

First one is model number 75936. Definitely the cleaner of the two and supposedly just had solenoids replaced. Downside is there is no controller so I can't verify it works. Asking price is $550

Second one is model 26626. Looks like an older model and has seen some use. Looks rough but works. Asking price is $400

What should I be looking at on these? Is one model better/worse? Or easier to work on and get parts for? I've been rummaging around the Warn site at parts but I've never rebuilt or serviced any sort of winch so I'm just groping in the dark at this point.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So the numbers you have there are for the motors. The 75936 is newer than the 26626. What you want to do is look on the gear box side near the clutch lever and you will see the serial number and the date code.

Other than the motors and possibly the wiring harness on the winch with the 26626 motor they are the same winch. You definitely want to test them before you buy so see if you can borrow a remote. You want to make sure that it can freespool with only a moderate amount of resistance on both the clutch lever and the drum, the motor should run in both directions and that it does not sound like bolts in a blender which is the sign the brake is bad.

Thank you sir! If I can't locate a remote to borrow I plan to ask if I can bring a battery and some cable to jumper it. Should have enough stuff laying around the garage to make that work. If he balks I'll keep looking.

Thank you sir! If I can't locate a remote to borrow I plan to ask if I can bring a battery and some cable to jumper it. Should have enough stuff laying around the garage to make that work. If he balks I'll keep looking.

I love my XD9000. You’re in good hands with @Blackjack . He helped me rebuild mine.

You should be able to find a good used Warn controller on eBay. The XD9000i is a great winch and Warn will have any parts you ever need for it. Good decision going for a used Warn vs. the cheap shit like a Smittybilt or Badlands from Harbor Freight.

Made a deal on the older of the two for $300. He also doesn't have a remote. Came off one of his logging trucks that was wrecked and been sitting for a couple years. I'll update tomorrow whether I found a diamond in the rough or an expensive paper weight.

Cheers 🍻

Reactions: matkal and JMT
You should be able to find a good used Warn controller on eBay. The XD9000i is a great winch and Warn will have any parts you ever need for it. Good decision going for a used Warn vs. the cheap shit like a Smittybilt or Badlands from Harbor Freight.

I have zero experience with the cheap winches on the market, I assumed they were cheap garbage as you stated, are they that bad, Is it a particular part? Motor, gear box, etc. ?
I have a Superwinch 9K on my TJ that I rebuilt from two winches I acquired, had to make some parts, repair others but it runs/works great now (not that I use it a lot) but still. I have a synthetic rope and fairlead to install when I get the time to do so. I plan to relocate the solenoids to the inner fender and clean up the front a lil more at the same time. Might add in a wireless remote too.
Im just curious, I might put one on my flatbed trailer and would like to know what to expect what is going to fail? LOL

Made a deal on the older of the two for $300. He also doesn't have a remote. Came off one of his logging trucks that was wrecked and been sitting for a couple years. I'll update tomorrow whether I found a diamond in the rough or an expensive paper weight.

Cheers 🍻

Post up some pics when you get it. Especially the remote receptacle so we can determine if it is three or five wire. If it is a three wire Warn has an update kit that you can usually get them to send you if you ask nicely. Even if you have to throw a few hundred bucks at it you will have a solid piece of kit.

Reactions: Irun
I have zero experience with the cheap winches on the market, I assumed they were cheap garbage as you stated, are they that bad, Is it a particular part? Motor, gear box, etc. ?
I have a Superwinch 9K on my TJ that I rebuilt from two winches I acquired, had to make some parts, repair others but it runs/works great now (not that I use it a lot) but still. I have a synthetic rope and fairlead to install when I get the time to do so. I plan to relocate the solenoids to the inner fender and clean up the front a lil more at the same time. Might add in a wireless remote too.
Im just curious, I might put one on my flatbed trailer and would like to know what to expect what is going to fail? LOL

My problem with the more value minded winches out there is that after a few years can you get parts to service them? While Warn has changed a bit on this in the last few years I can for the most part service just about any winch they have made in the last 30 years, longer if you include the 8274. The only other company that comes close to that is Ramsey and then maybe Milemarker on their hydro winches. I really despise that we have become such a throwaway society and it is why I try to help folks keep as many of these older Warns in service as I can.

My problem with the more value minded winches out there is that after a few years can you get parts to service them? While Warn has changed a bit on this in the last few years I can for the most part service just about any winch they have made in the last 30 years, longer if you include the 8274. The only other company that comes close to that is Ramsey and then maybe Milemarker on their hydro winches. I really despise that we have become such a throwaway society and it is why I try to help folks keep as many of these older Warns in service as I can.

I agree with that! Heck, good luck getting parts the day after you buy it!
Curious, what is your opinion of the super winch 9K?

I agree with that! Heck, good luck getting parts the day after you buy it!
Curious, what is your opinion of the super winch 9K?

Which model? The older Superwinch was a good product but now that Westin has acquired Superwinch basically in name only you can not repair them.

Which model? The older Superwinch was a good product but now that Westin has acquired Superwinch basically in name only you can not repair them.

Well going by google pics it looks like it is an X9 1901C. I can not find any model number markings on it, only a patent number. My guess is minimum 15 years old, maybe older.

Well going by google pics it looks like it is an X9 1901C. I can not find any model number markings on it, only a patent number. My guess is minimum 15 years old, maybe older.

X9 was a good winch other than maybe being a little on the slow side.

Reactions: JMT
Good but slow is better than fast and crappy LOL.
When it becomes an issue, maybe I will have to get a Warn. LOL
Yes the line speed is definitely not flying.
Are replacement parts available or is it too old?
Thanks for the info

Good but slow is better than fast and crappy LOL.
When it becomes an issue, maybe I will have to get a Warn. LOL
Yes the line speed is definitely not flying.
Are replacement parts available or is it too old?
Thanks for the info

Unfortunately parts are really scarce. You can get a motor, contactor and I think the remote and receptacle for it but not much else.

Post up some pics when you get it. Especially the remote receptacle so we can determine if it is three or five wire. If it is a three wire Warn has an update kit that you can usually get them to send you if you ask nicely. Even if you have to throw a few hundred bucks at it you will have a solid piece of kit.

Is there a way to repair a pin on a 5-wire? It is not as protruded as the other pins. I can pull it out, and it works even when it’s sunk in a few mm, but I’d like a reliable way to repair that pin to keep this controller in use.

I actually found your winch journey post and read through it when looking into the XD9000i. Also learned really quick Blackjack is the winch guru.

I used it today, twice, once for myself, and second for @powdaman. I love the line speed. Such a great and reliable winch. Warn all the way!

I used to have a SuperWinch TS 9500Sr (manufactured in 2017). They were re-acquired, and not many replacement parts. I was happy to find the controller before I sold it.

Is there a way to repair a pin on a 5-wire? It is not as protruded as the other pins. I can pull it out, and it works even when it’s sunk in a few mm, but I’d like a reliable way to repair that pin to keep this controller in use.

If you cannot get the pins to stay you can use service kit 14469 and replace the whole plug.

@Blackjack also helped me restore an XD 9000. We're fortunate to have knowledgeable people like him on this forum, who want to help out. In my case, I ultimately end up replacing the solenoid pack with a Warn 83664 contactor pack. If you end up having to buy a new remote, this might be good alternative for you.

[URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/it-just-happened.55698/post-1162412[/URL]

20220730_193937-jpg.347085

20220730_193951-jpg.jpg

20220822_192622.jpg