Washer Fluid Bottle Cap (Replacement Options)

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The foam seal/gasket on the washer fill cap is showing its age; shrunken and brittle. It no longer seals and I'm finding fluid splash out on the fender. I figured it would be an easy part to replace since it just snaps off the bottle, but evidently not.

I've yet to find a TJ-specific replacement cap, only complete bottles with attached cap. However, there are replacement caps that look exactly the same, but for the JK.

I'm curious if anyone has had success with the Dorman/Omix JK caps you find online on their TJ bottle? Or does some other off-brand cap fit?

If no luck with a new cap, what did you use for replacement seal/gasket material?

Thanks.

The foam seal/gasket on the washer fill cap is showing its age; shrunken and brittle. It no longer seals and I'm finding fluid splash out on the fender. I figured it would be an easy part to replace since it just snaps off the bottle, but evidently not.

I've yet to find a TJ-specific replacement cap, only complete bottles with attached cap. However, there are replacement caps that look exactly the same, but for the JK.

I'm curious if anyone has had success with the Dorman/Omix JK caps you find online on their TJ bottle? Or does some other off-brand cap fit?

If no luck with a new cap, what did you use for replacement seal/gasket material?

Thanks.
Nevermind, I'm a dumbass.

A TJ-specific cap does exist.

MOPAR Part Number: 5096347AA

The cap isn't exclusive to tjs alot of mopar vehicles use the same one. Your local parts store has one in the help section that works fine
I was hoping to pick one up on the way home, but (of course) I didn't take the cap off the Jeep to be able to eyeball the fit of a new one.

Too often I've bought something that's designed to be universal fit and have it not work for my application.

Make your own seal out of a piece of thin sheet rubber, just cut it out and glue it into place. Even an old rubber glove could be a donor.
I have some sticky-backed neoprene foam from when I added sound/rattle-proofing under the tray I got for the center console. Any reason why that wouldn't be acceptable?

I have some sticky-backed neoprene foam from when I added sound/rattle-proofing under the tray I got for the center console. Any reason why that wouldn't be acceptable?
Neoprene is not waterproof so it will soak up washer fluid and stay "squishy", I'd go for rubber.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ST4BQDT/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That's what I used to cut a new gasket. I agree that it stays wet but it hasn't leaked.
I have similar material, probably 1/16 or so thick. Might be a little thin.

I did some more digging in the forum and saw another thread where someone used a pre-cut rubber gasket in the right diameter from the hardware store and epoxied it on the cap. I might go that route.

I took some time today to take a closer look at the original reservoir cap and its grotty seal. The seal was spongy and held fluid, so I figured why not just replace it with the sticky-backed neoprene I have on hand.

Once I got the seal out of the cap, I cleaned all the old adhesive and gunk off the cap and noticed something I never saw while it was on the bottle. There are two recessed channels molded in the underside of the cap, leading from the outer edge of the cap to the cap's center.

Those channels would keep a vacuum from forming in the reservoir when pumping fluid out into the washers. Then I realized the original seal's form actually had a function. It's open center allows those channels to do their thing.

So out with the old and in with the replacement. This was the test fit. Once installed the cap clicked shut like normal. I'll just see how it goes.

20211219_202635.jpg

Measurements below if you want to try making your own. I just used an old school compass for this.

20211219_202735.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom