Water on Driver & Passenger Side Floorboards

Rosenbalm24

I am in desperate search for any help someone can give to my water problem?! 2 dealership, 5 visits, and over $1000 later my floor boards are still wet when it rains! I have exhausted my efforts in taking my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4D to places to fix water problem on floor boards and No One can fix it or find it???? My driver & passenger side floor boards are wet after it rains whether I'm driving it or it is sitting at my work not moving!? They have replaced seals around windshield, doors, etc... Always send it back saying its fixed and as soon as it rains they are wet again??? There is no water dripping from the inside anywhere that I can see... Last place said they placed some silicone somewhere around the frame and it was fixed, but that was a bust again!! The next guy wants to charge over $400 just to look at it and I'm afraid to waste my money once again... If anyone can help or give my any suggestions to where this water may be coming in, I'd greatly appreciate any advise?!
Thanks!!

I'm sure you have done this already but try sitting in the jeep while someone else hoses it down. You should be able to get an idea of where the leak is coming from. I know the JK is notorious for leaks around the freedom top. A few members here have JK's so they may be able to help you.

Sounds like your cowl is clogged. Have you removed the cowl to look?

I’ve also heard that water can flow into the passenger side through the blower fan which pulls from the hood cowl. Probably a write up on here somewhere regarding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumb question... have you checked that the drain plugs are installed in the foot wells?

I occasionally get a fair amount of water blowing up from below through my open drain holes.

Not sure where they are on a JK, but maybe?

Dumb question... have you checked that the drain plugs are installed in the foot wells?

I occasionally get a fair amount of water blowing up from below through my open drain holes.

Not sure where they are on a JK, but maybe?

Unfortunately it’s gets wet just sitting at work and not moving at all?! Ive had it to 2 different Jeep dealers service depts, 5 diff times and nothing they have ever done ha

OK, I know you said it's a JK, but I'm going to comment on my 98 TJ anyway. I have this issue, and to diagnose I parked it facing downhill. Here's why... I normally park in our driveway that faces slightly up, and was always getting water in passenger side after rain - which is like once per year here in Sacto area. First world problems, I know.

However, facing down this did not happen. I did the hose test, and it did get water in, but you really could not figure out where it was coming from. The only "fix" to the test was to cover the vent just outside windshield on passenger side, so I knew that's how it was coming in.

I also took off the cowl (I guess that's what it's called) and put in some rubber-ish/foam insulation, and a ton of clear silicone around open areas. Honestly, tho - it helped but did not clear completely.

This won't help when it is happening while driving, but maybe just to satisfy your curiosity, can you park facing downhill?

And take off the cowl - they all have them - don't focus so much on JK vs TJ, just get a screwdriver out...

Jeeps leak mine has for 18 years since day 1. Carpet on jeeps are water proof for a reason. I just shove a plastic bottle under rug its fast drying

Reactions: Daryl
Any vehicle that has a removable top will leak. Don’t want leaks, buy a vehicle without a removable top. These were meant to be recreational vehicles.

Reactions: Powdermonkey
I know this won't help solve your problem but every Jeep I've had leaks to some extent or another. ('98 Sahara, '12 Unlimited Rubicon & my current '04 Sahara) They've all leaked on the passenger side. With the first 2 Jeeps I wound up laying on my back in the passenger seat looking under the dash to try and locate the leak, never could fix it (but I sure got a head-rush). When I first discovered that the '04 leaked I wasn't surprised. They're very capable vehicles, just not capable of keeping rain out.

Reactions: Daryl
I had this problem too this summer. Found the real solution!! When you open the door, look to the right of the outermost vent (for passenger side, left of the outermost vent for driver side)—see image for reference image.jpg
This small plastic bump that is used to secure the gasket allows small amounts of water to bypass the channel water is supposed to run through, and in turn it winds up running down into your car and seeps into the floor mats. the fix costs about $10. Order “camper top tape” on amazon and place a ~3 inch segment directly over this area that causes the issue. (See image for how it should look)
image.jpg
the camper top tape creates a seal that actually works. It has been raining all day here in IL, and I have the tape only on the drivers side gasket. My drivers side is bone dry and my passenger side, which has nothing covering the issue area is soaking wet. If you have any questions shoot me a text 6306494578. This problem pissed me off so much I’m glad to help anyone else experiencing it.

I had this problem too this summer. Found the real solution!! When you open the door, look to the right of the outermost vent (for passenger side, left of the outermost vent for driver side)—see image for referenceView attachment 121895
This small plastic bump that is used to secure the gasket allows small amounts of water to bypass the channel water is supposed to run through, and in turn it winds up running down into your car and seeps into the floor mats. the fix costs about $10. Order “camper top tape” on amazon and place a ~3 inch segment directly over this area that causes the issue. (See image for how it should look)
View attachment 121899
the camper top tape creates a seal that actually works. It has been raining all day here in IL, and I have the tape only on the drivers side gasket. My drivers side is bone dry and my passenger side, which has nothing covering the issue area is soaking wet. If you have any questions shoot me a text 6306494578. This problem pissed me off so much I’m glad to help anyone else experiencing it.
Jacob2owen12 - Wanted to check to see if this remedy is still working for you. Thanks for the tip!