Why is there water on the passenger floor?

Leinhit

TJ Enthusiast
Have a 2001 TJ I pulled up the carpet on the passenger side today and found a large amount of water sitting there rusting away the floor pan.

I went to a car wash about a week ago and about a week and a half ago we had very heavy rain, however both times I did not detect any water coming into the Jeep and I have my hard top on.

Does anyone know where the water could be coming from ? the drain plugs are all in place, should I have them out and run it in the summer without drain plugs?

Where is this mystery water coming from can't believe it's coming from up underneath off the road there are no holes in the floor pan in that area and I don't detect any water coming in from the inside top or down the windows or anything.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Do you have a/c and have you been running it a lot lately? If so that could just be condensation backing up into the passenger compartment from a plugged a/c condensation rubber drain tube that exits the firewall low on the passenger side.

Have a 2001 TJ I pulled up the carpet on the passenger side today and found a large amount of water sitting there rusting away the floor pan.

I went to a car wash about a week ago and about a week and a half ago we had very heavy rain, however both times I did not detect any water coming into the Jeep and I have my hard top on.

Does anyone know where the water could be coming from ? the drain plugs are all in place, should I have them out and run it in the summer without drain plugs?

Where is this mystery water coming from can't believe it's coming from up underneath off the road there are no holes in the floor pan in that area and I don't detect any water coming in from the inside top or down the windows or anything.

Thanks

After you get home from driving and when you have been using your AC do you notice any water under your jeep? If not your jeep is not draining the water outside it is leaking onto your floorboard. I think this is a common issue. Not sure what it is called and how much to fix. My guess anyway at this point.

I haven't used the AC yet. And it doesn't really work well as I suspect an ac leak. Didn't fix it yet cause I take the top off.

Good idea tho, thanks and keep them coming.
After you get home from driving and when you have been using your AC do you notice any water under your jeep? If not your jeep is not draining the water outside it is leaking onto your floorboard. I think this is a common issue. Not sure what it is called and how much to fix. My guess anyway at this point.

Thanks

Take out the drain plugs.

funny you should ask this, was surfing youtube today and found this.

Hmmm... Very interesting.. might be a couple days till I can look, but they're is my next project. Thanks

And oh, I will take out drain plugs

None at all but good point. I'm thinking it is related to the heavy rain we had for days, so I'm gonna check the above video and see if that's it
If you have any anti freeze smell in the cabin it could also be bad heater core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rubber door seal could be the issue. I had to replace mine on my passenger door for the same reason.

Reactions: jeepins
15275132093241903646540.jpg 15275134197221675535210.jpg I had water running down firewall in engine compartment. I replaced hood to cowl gasket, caulked up foam gaskets which had shrunk.Most water was entering though the foam where the plenum drain is just above floor board.

None at all but good point. I'm thinking it is related to the heavy rain we had for days, so I'm gonna check the above video and see if that's it

Is it under your carpet or on top of your floor mats? If it’s under your carpet that’s not gonna be from rain water.

Is it under your carpet or on top of your floor mats? If it’s under your carpet that’s not gonna be from rain water.
Hard to say I have a carpeted floor mat on top of the carpet which was dry I lifted that up and found the carpet itself was soaking wet I pulled that up and the water was underneath it fairly deep I just assume the water soaked all the way through the carpet so I couldn't tell if it was coming from the bottom up or vice versa. And the plugs and everything was in so I can't see what Ur from the road splashing up and selling it up I'm going to check that cowling for a blockage soon though

I have basically the same thing happening with mine, but I definitely know mine is coming in from above the floor. I never noticed it until I put in my weathertech floor mats, then one day after a strong rain I hopped in and noticed a small puddle on the passenger floor mat. It doesn't do it every time it rains though.

Reactions: Boomer453
I have basically the same thing happening with mine, but I definitely know mine is coming in from above the floor. I never noticed it until I put in my weathertech floor mats, then one day after a strong rain I hopped in and noticed a small puddle on the passenger floor mat. It doesn't do it every time it rains though.

Mine does this too. Only on the passenger’s side. I haven’t looked as to why. If you figure it out, let us know.

funny you should ask this, was surfing youtube today and found this.

Ok...

I checked this today and sadly I don't believe that is the problem, mine is actually very clean as you can see in the pics,. I did blue out the drain and the a/c drain as well just in case.

You can see some water in the small square crevice in pic 3 in the upper right. As clean as it was under the cowling I don't see how it got in there because the drain certainly wasn't clogged.

I did add silicone to the plastic intake cover seal as a precaution.
dfa7d3e9f8144565954ff7abe90efd78.jpg
e72609eebebd507d50a332fbcac1981a.jpg
af43993121238ba617289aed44c9a9d8.jpg

Rubber door seal could be the issue. I had to replace mine on my passenger door for the same reason.

I'm off to go check it and replace is questionable. I didn't even drive it in the rain. I did park it on a bit of a slope in the driveway. I can't recall if facing up or down hill.

View attachment 42477 View attachment 42478 I had water running down firewall in engine compartment. I replaced hood to cowl gasket, caulked up foam gaskets which had shrunk.Most water was entering though the foam where the plenum drain is just above floor board.
I'm going to go check.. where exactly is the plenum foam drain above the floor board?

I'm off to go check it and replace is questionable. I didn't even drive it in the rain. I did park it on a bit of a slope in the driveway. I can't recall if facing up or down hill.

Mine would leak horribly parked level in the driveway. Nice thing was the PO gave my the new weatherstripping when I bought the Jeep, just had to pop the old one off and new one on. Pretty easy install and did the trick for my leak.