Water pump stopped leaking?

cormorant tail kite

TJ Enthusiast
Had noticed leaking under water pump area, maybe leaking from weep hole. Wanted to do a flush before changing water pump. Put the Prestone flush/cleaner in for the 10 minute flush, could still see the wetness under pulley, drained it, put water in, up to temp, then again, and the second time there was no more leak! I did this process a total of 4 times and each time of bringing it up to operating temp, run for 10 minutes, there is nothing wet there any more. Is it possible the cleaner maybe cleaned a blip in pump and now it's running better?
I'm stuck now, not sure if I still need to change the pump.
Also, the malfunction indicator light came on

Last edited:
If it was leaking through the weep hole that's a clear sign the bushing inside is going and the water pump itself is on its last legs
Yea, I agree. Saying it's the weep hole is a first thought due to the area the leak was coming from, that or pump gasket. I just find it odd, 3 weeks it was waiting to be fixed, not being run and it was dripping, now I put the cleaner in and bring it up to temp a few times and it's dry.

Knocked enough fine stuff loose with the flush that it either blocked the weep hole or repacked the bearing. Same concept as putting pepper or a sealant in your radiator.

You know it's going...best do it on your schedule.

I just did a head gasket on an 04 WJ. It can get worse fast.

-Mac

I ordered a Mopar pump, and there were 2 numbers from different companies. I am wondering if they sent me the right pump, looking at the impeller on back, the flow doesn't sit right in our thinking for the direction the fan goes, we might be backwards in thinking too. I know Jeep is a reverse flow and this Mopar one doesn't have an R stamped on it. Not sure if anyone by chance has a 2005 4.0 water pump around to shoot a picture of the direction of impeller.

Yes!! Thank you. That is the one they ended up sending. I imagine you have a 4.0?
Did you use the gasket that came with it?

Yes it's a 4.0. Also used the gasket, it should have silicone bead on it which faces the water pump. When you torque it, do it in a star pattern. I put the bolts in a piece of cardboard to make sure they went back in the same hole. Also wire brush cleaned them. Make sure you spend the time to get the old gasket off, you want the surface completely free of it.

IMG_1150.png