Water temp gauge

Earl B

TJ Enthusiast
My TJ Sport has a new problem. The temp gauge dropped today below 100 while I was driving it. Is it a gauge or a sending unit? Never had that problem in forty years.

only time I have seen it personally was when their was no water in to register . The steam that precedes that along with the smell should of got your attention first though

My TJ Sport has a new problem. The temp gauge dropped today below 100 while I was driving it. Is it a gauge or a sending unit? Never had that problem in forty years.

Do check your coolant level but there is a sensor on the thermostat housing that is easily replaceable. If you have a code reader it can display the temp readout. Check the wire connector at the sensor and make sure it's good, if it's ng then replace with a Mopar oem and not the box store crap.

Last edited:
Your thermostat might be (probably is) stuck open. If that ends up being the problem install a new 195 degree non-store brand thermostat like a Stant or Mopar. Make sure it is NOT a fail-safe thermostat which is known to stick/fail open too easily and too often. Fail-safe means it's unlikely to fail in the closed position but it errs too easily in sticking open which still needs attention.

I have a slant 195 new in the box. I never got around to it. It's time to do these things. Thanks for the help. I buy parts and put off installing them all the time.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Your thermostat might be (probably is) stuck open. If that ends up being the problem install a new 195 degree non-store brand thermostat like a Stant or Mopar. Make sure it is NOT a fail-safe thermostat which is known to stick/fail open too easily and too often. Fail-safe means it's unlikely to fail in the closed position but it errs too easily in sticking open which still needs attention.

Thank you so much. Thermostat was broke with the end that held the spring in the head. Fished it out and lucky it broke clean. The Stant 195 has the number 45359 on the box. The one I took off has a small hold at the top that mine does not have. Do I have the right one? You my have saved my engine. Thanks again.

Reactions: Matt1964