We got just a little snow

I lived for years in the Spokane WA/Coeur d' Alene ID area. Love the area but don't miss the snow a bit.... and I've been gone 10 years now. We still have a lake place up there and go up in the winter to ski the area but not having to drop kids off and go to work in that is a huge plus.

I can remember several times having to go up on the roof and get the 3'-4' of snow off the roof as a warm front would be coming in with rain. Every year we saw roofs collapse because of the "Big Snow" followed by sub zero followed by big rain events.

Reactions: mushdogs
I got stranded on Stevens Pass back in 97 in a storm that dropped 5' in 12 hours. Wind drifting was piling up snow 12-15 feet deep up there.
Yep, there have been some ugly ones for sure. Am a lifelong WA dry sider and one of the first things about driving I learned back in the late 70s was to have a full tank of fuel and supplies to stay warm if stranded and self rescue. Im sure it's the same for small town kids across the northern states. City people probably not so much :)

Yep, there have been some ugly ones for sure. Am a lifelong WA dry sider and one of the first things about driving I learned back in the late 70s was to have a full tank of fuel and supplies to stay warm if stranded and self rescue. Im sure it's the same for small town kids across the northern states. City people probably not so much :)
I spent 24 years in and around Spokane. Been in messes trying to cross the Cascades more than a few times.

That kinda snow might get Oooo’s and Ahhh’s from some people, but not me. It’s the shits to have to deal with.

Sorry to hear about all that trouble, good luck to all you jeepers in the path of that storm!

Luckily, up here in the north-eastern corner of California, we haven’t seen any of that storm.

Every fall I make up one 48hr iron ration and water kit for each of us. Consists of pemmican, homemade instant oatmeal and fruit cereal, hardtack, erbswurst and one gallon of water. If you’re unfamiliar with erbswurst, it’s basically dehydrated pea soup. It’s a bare minimum of water and food for two days, but high calorie and can all be eaten hot, cold or dry. Doesn’t matter if we travel separate or together over the passes or in the backcountry, our individual kit comes with. I renew them every fall mainly because even vacuumed sealed and properly stored, after a hot summer out and about in the Jeeps I just feel better remaking them rather than trusting the longevity.
Yes, I could just buy MRE’s and accomplish the same thing, but where’s the fun in that?