Weight concerns with possible L83 or L86 swap

CJsWranglers

I have a 05 TJ with a 2.4 engine(I know problem one) Which in the past it has served me well(the engine that is) but since I have added a lot of weight. I have put on DANA 44 axles w/5.38 replacing the stock 30 & 35(added weight) I have added Clayton long arm stretch/lift with front and rear trusses(added weight) new bellie pan(added weight) A new roll cage(added weight) and finally new rockers(added weight). I am also looking to put larger wheels(37 beadlocks)(added weight). So with this added weight I am already looking to upgrade the motor to possible a L83 or L86( adding little weight). What I am concerned is what tranny to use. I prefer a manual over an automatic but not set in stone on either. On doing my upgrades this is where I am stumped... Looking for suggestions on which transmission to use with an Atlas II transfer case, I live in the northeast and do mostly rock crawling so I know my gearing needs to be low.
Any help will be appreciated

Why would weight be a concern with an L83 swap?

I could see how it would be a concern with the measly 4 banger, but not a V8.

Perhaps the title is misleading reads like the weight is a concern with the current 2.4 and the swap is to help resolve that concern. Question seems to be trans related.

I would run the 8 speed auto that either of those would be connected to. If you really want a manual, the nv4500 is really the only and best option for strength and ratios

You would be surprised. The fully dressed LS likely weighs less than a fully dressed 4.0. If that tells you anything. Take off an additional 80 lbs if going with an aluminum LS like the L33; an all aluminum 5.3L Vortec GM truck engine.

L83 and L86 are both aluminum blocks and heads. If weight is that much of a concern use their V6 little brother the LV3. Still 300 hp and ft/lbs. Swapping any of the new GenV's to manual is even more work. Also, the 6L80 is often preferred from a general reliability standpoint but I think the V8 only paired with them for a couple years. The V6 stuck with the 6 speed. If you really want a manual the L86 is a better choice because the crank is machined for the input shaft.

Perhaps the title is misleading reads like the weight is a concern with the current 2.4 and the swap is to help resolve that concern. Question seems to be trans related.
Thats what I am really looking for is info on a transmission because I am adding so much weight I am upgrading the motor and the trany to compensate... I prefer a manual because thats what I am used to but not objecting to automatic. I need a good reason not just what people prefer... Why do they like auto over standard

A AX15 or NV3550 would be ok but not if you are going to try to get a lot more power out of your V-8. Novak has both transmissions rated at 300 HP/TQ. As already said if you want to stay with a manual transmission the NV4500 is a good choice but just know that you may have to do some trans tunnel mods as that trans is big.

There is is transmission also: http://tcase.rsgear.com/products/transmissions/terminator™.aspx

Don't throw an auto out the window so fast. There are a lot of good auto trans out there now and you can make them shift almost like having a manual in your rig. Either way you have choices out there.

And I'm well versed in HEAVY rigs. I have a Dodge Magnum V-8, 46RE auto trans, Ford HP44 front & TeraLow CRD 60 rear & a STaK's 3 speed transfer case. The last time I put my TJ on a scale I was a little over 5100 lbs.

Sounds to me like you already made up your mind. I guess you have a good reason. But, I known would never run an manual trans over auto for off roading.