Weird lighting issue on 2002 TJ 2.5

Wrangler91899

Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I started having lighting issues.

I don't drive my jeep a lot at night so I'm not sure exactly when this started happening, but for sure 3 weeks ago it was happening and continues, just seems to be getting progressively worse.

3 weeks ago we found out that we had no instrument cluster lighting. The digital odometer lights up, high beam lights up but no other lights in the instrument cluster. All gauges work they just aren't being illuminated. Drove back home 2 hours without seeing speed. On that same trip home someone kept flipping the head lights at me and we found out we had no tail lights, no break lights but we did have reverse lights. Turn signals worked. No problem... The next day I checked the fuses behind the glove box for the instrument cluster & break lights. Yep they worked. Next day we took the jeep out for a ride around town and when we hit a bump we heard a fuse pop. After checking, it was the fuse for the instrument cluster.

Jumped on forums to see how others had fixed the issue. Most common cause was bare wire short out or a faulty multi-function switch.

I took off the glove box , front facing dash cover, instrument cluster cover, instrument cluster and steering column cover. All wiring were still in their sheeting and attached to their harnesses. Amazingly clean and organized for a 19 year old vehicle. The TJ still has all it's original equipment like radio, speakers etc. It's a plain Jane.

What wires I could see all looked good. (I did not take the fuzzy covering off the wires but what I did see looked good)

When all that looked good, I removed the multi function switch and bought a new one and installed it. 1st Question: The MFS has a relay. The new one didn't come with one so I used the one out of the old switch. How do you know if these relays are working correctly?

We then replaced the blown fuses took it for a test drive and once we hit a decent bump the instrument cluster fuse blew. :(

Today, we took the jeep out for a drive and it was getting close to dusk so we started toward the house knowing our cluster lights wouldn't be working. On a whim I pulled over and asked my wife to check to make sure we had break lights. We had NO rear lights whatsoever. No tail lights, no break lights, no reverse lights.

We went straight home and we checked the lights again. no change except the turn signals.

The right turn signal was very dim (front turn signal was fine) and each time the signal would blink there was a weird "whirring" sound coming from the front passenger side under the hood. The light would occasionally start blinking correctly (brighter) and the "whirring" sound would stop then a minute or two later it would go dim and you would hear that "whirring" sound again. Left blink didn't display the dimming issue.

Also, only when the right turn signal was dim, each time the turn signal came on the headlights would dim slightly. If it was not making the sound and the turn signal was not dim the headlights would not dim when they blinked. This was all while the TJ was on and running btw.

Really not sure what the problem is. I plan on looking under the hood and see where that sound is coming from.

Hopefully someone here has had this weird situation and can point me in the right direction...

Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

K thanks I'll Check it out
Things you'll need
You need a multi meter...
You can use a test light if that's all you have...
Some long spare wire to reach your battery negative....(for a good known ground)

Some things to look for...
Did you or anyone add a hitch? If no hitch
(maybe someone took it )
Did they add a hitch plug?

There are some real hack saw artists out there and wiring can be the worst of the bunch.

Things you'll need
You need a multi meter...
You can use a test light if that's all you have...
Some long spare wire to reach your battery negative....(for a good known ground)

Some things to look for...
Did you or anyone add a hitch? If no hitch
(maybe someone took it )
Did they add a hitch plug?

There are some real hack saw artists out there and wiring can be the worst of the bunch.
Ok I'll need to get some of that stuff. I dont have a multimeter. the TJ has a hitch and it does have a hitch plug but I've Owned this TJ for over 5 years and all this lighting problem just started 3 weeks ago. 😟 yeah wiring is a pain to troubleshoot in my experience

Ok I'll need to get some of that stuff. I dont have a multimeter. the TJ has a hitch and it does have a hitch plug but I've Owned this TJ for over 5 years and all this lighting problem just started 3 weeks ago. 😟 yeah wiring is a pain to troubleshoot in my experience
The bump thing would certainly indicate a hanging bare wire.
Either way you've got a hot wire that is grounding itself out.

Question is.....
Before any bump...
Is there anything that isn't working. When all fuses are in place...and it's working as it should be..is there anything that is out? (Not working...or not working correctly)? .a dim light...funky behavior of something...

Just trying to get you some direction.

Thwas going to say yes everything was gone bump thing would certainly indicate a hanging bare wire.
Either way you've got a hot wire that is grounding itself out.

Question is.....
Before any bump...
Is there anything that isn't working. When all fuses are in place...and it's working as it should be..is there anything that is out? (Not working...or not working correctly)? .a dim light...funky behavior of something...

Just trying to get you some direction.
I was going to say yes everything is fine before the bump but my wife just reminded me that when we were out for the test drive after replacing the MFS the fuse had blown while driving. We were waiting in line at mcdonalds and so I took the opportunity to switch out the fuse. Before we got the through line the fuse blew so that doesnt fit my bump theory... ☹

So following Rubicon88's suggestion about checking the rear tail light area, I also remembered someone else in the forum saying that they had a bulb filament shorting out their lights.

So with that in mind I looked at the bulbs and they were blackened on the top of the glass bulb so I changed them out with new ones. Took the jeep out for about 40 and had no fuses blown when hitting bumps etc...

We will call this optimistically fixed but will hold my breath for a bit just to make sure.

Thanks everyone for your help

Last edited:
I had exact same problem. Replaced multi switch and worked till I hit a bump. Took a bit but figured out my problem. The wire plug going into multi switch from years of heat had shrank a tad. Figured it out by plugging it in then moving it around. Found position it liked and added a plastic spacer. All's good now.

Reactions: Wrangler91899