Weird new issues after driving TJ for the first time in a month

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2004 Rubicon 4.0 - Manual

Decided to drive it as life has been busy and haven’t had it out in awhile. Changed rear caliper that was sticking, bleed the system and off we went.

Within a mile, speedometer started jumping around like crazy. All other gauges ok. Speedometer never stopped doing it, even after a restart.

Within the second mile, it would randomly cut out, like complete loss of power for a second, then resume normally until it did it again. In the 4 mile round trip, it cut out probably 6-8 times.

Code 1494 on (has been on since purchase a 18 months ago...)
Code P0432 on. Not sure if it’s new or been on awhile as I haven’t checked and have assumed my CEL has just been for the evap system leak.

Is there a common link between the 2 Symptoms? Or where to start? LS swap coming this winter, just thought it’d be nice to get through deer season with it.

The speedometer and engine cutting out are not related to these codes. For these issues, check the speedometer sensor on the transfer case. You may also want to remove it to check if the gear got chewed up. If nothing obvious, check your wiring. One if the issues with parking a vehicle long term is that critters may take up residence and chew through the wiring.

P0432 is often due to a failed cat limiting exhaust flow.

I'd be looking at rusty ground connections or a F-ing mouse. Seriously. I've got one that moves in if the Jeep sits for more than 2 days. 1 wrong nibble (they love the taste of wire insulation) and it's a roaming ghost in the electrical system.

1 wrong nibble (they love the taste of wire insulation) and it's a roaming ghost in the electrical system.
Marmots at 12-13000 feet can do a job in a couple hours. Have no idea how to stop it. Spray some Chinese hot oil on harnesses perhaps. Worth a try in comparison to the alternative.

Now if I can stop calipers from sticking. Replaced driver rear, now front driver is acting up (which it never has before) 🥴 Jeep Life.

This is why when I went through my Saraha I just replaced all the brake cylinders/calipers and even the lines at the same time. Sometimes overkill will save you time in the end.

This is why when I went through my Saraha I just replaced all the brake cylinders/calipers and even the lines at the same time. Sometimes overkill will save you time in the end.
It’s my knuckles. Got the infamous groves worn in them from the pads. Gonna weld and smooth out sometime this weekend.