Weird problem with brake pedal engagement and touchy rear brakes

I believe I finally figured it out, fingers crossed, so far so good.
Finally realized that the PO had bent the backing plates on the rear drum brakes.
So after much work and days I won't describe here, I straightened, bent, ground, trial fit, replacing drums again, new axles, new spider gears, and after three years, smooth, no noise, no vibration stops.
PO probably pried on the backer plates, trying to remove stuck drums.
They have to be straight, because all the working parts ride on them.

The most common way we see them bent is when someone locks the parking brake on hard and then drives off in 4 low. Tweaks the crap out of them starting with the anchor pin.

I did a disc conversion on a buddy's rig. He upgraded to a TJ Unlimited and sold off the TJ. The next day, he gave the new owner my phone number to figure out what was wrong with the rear discs since they were all wadded up inside the drum part of the rotor.

I explained that happens when you mess around in 4 low and drive off with the parking brake applied pretty well.
He tells me that isn't what happened and it must be something with what I did.

I asked if it was like that when they test drove it? No, it was fine and then when my kid got home later with it, it was making clicking and popping noises from the rear brake area and he said all he did was just drive it home on the street.

Well sir, here is how you know that your kid lied to you. It is making clicking and popping noises from the rear brake area from wadded up parts due to applying the parking brake and then driving off in 4 low. Your kid broke it, not my problem. Apparently he chatted with the kid or something because I never heard back.

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
The most common way we see them bent is when someone locks the parking brake on hard and then drives off in 4 low. Tweaks the crap out of them starting with the anchor pin.

You might be on to something here! I know this jeep was driven hard and was a high schoolers vehicle at one point. Found that out AFTER I bought it... 😑
I've been thinking it might be one of the shoes binding or slipping on the anchor pin, and that would explain a lot. For sure worth a look.

I did a disc conversion on a buddy's rig. He upgraded to a TJ Unlimited and sold off the TJ. The next day, he gave the new owner my phone number to figure out what was wrong with the rear discs since they were all wadded up inside the drum part of the rotor.

I explained that happens when you mess around in 4 low and drive off with the parking brake applied pretty well.

I asked if it was like that when they test drove it? No, it was fine and then when my kid got home later with it, it was making clicking and popping noises from the rear brake area and he said all he did was just drive it home on the street.

Well sir, here is how you know that your kid lied to you. It is making clicking and popping noises from the rear brake area from wadded up parts due to applying the parking brake and then driving off in 4 low. Your kid broke it, not my problem. Apparently he chatted with the kid or something because I never heard back.

Amazing. And Thank you sir for you info and input, that makes a lot more sense than someone having to pry off the drum. Once I realized it (both, but right side was bad), bent, I just layed under the jeep looking it over and trying to figure out how in the hell did anyone do this.

You might be on to something here! I know this jeep was driven hard and was a high schoolers vehicle at one point. Found that out AFTER I bought it... 😑
I've been thinking it might be one of the shoes binding or slipping on the anchor pin, and that would explain a lot. For sure worth a look.

This is part of how I straightened it.
My inherited Hydrolic Jaws and jack set that my Dad had.

20230426_180350.jpg

Amazing. And Thank you sir for you info and input, that makes a lot more sense than someone having to pry off the drum. Once I realized it (both, but right side was bad), bent, I just layed under the jeep looking it over and trying to figure out how in the hell did anyone do this.

I'm not saying they didn't pry off the drum, I'm just saying it is far more common to tear them up the other way.

Too many people will look you right in the eye and lie so they can get something for free.i don't have time for that shit.i do good work for people or i won't do it.

Now a customer thats honest and trusts me to do my job will get effort above and beyond the scope to get them squared away.

Reactions: psrivats
Too many people will look you right in the eye and lie so they can get something for free.
I never really had much of an opinion about folks as a group until I started selling stuff to them. Then I discovered that they will lie about every thing, any thing, and do it with a straight face to get free crap to fix their screw-ups. That consistent theme dramatically altered my opinion.
Now a customer thats honest and trusts me to do my job will get effort above and beyond the scope to get them squared away.
Same here.