Weird whistling noise

Alxmarquez23

Any ideas... i dont a have any codes

That's really weird. I can't tell if it's metallic (i.e. a u-joint) or if maybe it's wind coming in through the header seal or somewhere else.

Start applying blue tape to hardtop joints til it stops , then focus on the area you put the piece that made the change.

Pull the front drive shaft.

If it still does it , get it on a rack at a transmission shop ...possibly an output bearing. It's rpm specific.

If it does it sitting still, it's in the serpentine belt system .

Remove the belt and crank it a sec..you will know quick .

From there it's going to be a pulley ..anything that belt touches is a suspect.

Reactions: Alxmarquez23
Not like a "main bearing "...but yes, a bearing in the belt system is likely , and normally the tensioner pulley is the weak link . You can spray wd 40 on the center , use the straw..if that quietens it temporarily , you nailed it.

Not like a "main bearing "...but yes, a bearing in the belt system is likely , and normally the tensioner pulley is the weak link . You can spray wd 40 on the center , use the straw..if that quietens it temporarily , you nailed it.
Thanks I’m going to belt system. Fingers cross hopefully it’s a easy fix.

Thanks I’m gonna Check out the belt system hopefully it’s a easy fix

Keep us posted . When you learn , we learn . Keep the spray off the belt best you can.

Reactions: Alxmarquez23
Mine does that occasionally, but just at/after startup. I've never heard it once I've started moving.

Looking forward to your updates!

Reactions: Chris
I went out and bought one of these and And of course I can’t replicate the noise anymore 😭 I’ll just have to drive it some more and wait for it to do it again

image.jpg

If the noise comes back pull the belt, start it up and let it run for a minute. Give it a rev to see if you can still hear the noise. To me it sounds like an alternator whine.

Here’s another idea... how do you listen to music in your Jeep? Do you use an auxiliary cable of any kind? If so, did you have the volume turned up when you unplugged it? High volume on the headunit with nothing plugged in will cause this same noise. Again, it’s alternator whine if that’s the case.