Welding advice

16 ga, actively concentrating on the sound and moving faster than my instinct tells me. Starting to see the difference between a welder and a grinder. I'm still a grinder, but I have glimmers of decent ...
IMG_20210206_151935711_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210206_151941447_HDR.jpg

Reactions: mrblaine
If you do not have a hood you can see the puddle with easily, get one.
Any notable hoods you'd recommend?

Also, how wide should the bead be and how high above the surface? Trying to practice and looking for examples so I know what to strive for.

Also, how wide should the bead be and how high above the surface? Trying to practice and looking for examples so I know what to strive for.
jackson hoods work well, never had issues with it.

if you drop a 1/8" bead across some 1/4" material you only have 1/8" strength and your 1/4" material was a waste.
until you get up to 1/4" and beyond your bead needs to be about the size of your material.
a flat butt weld should be dug out and would lay a worm with some crown. a fillet (90* corner) would crown in the corner if the deposit is sufficient. your trying to leave a bridge comparable in strength to your base material.

Reactions: Sudo and Mrhp

I REALLY like my Sellstrom helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MHG51MF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It was like one of those "Ah-Ha" moments when I put it on and layed my first bead. All of a sudden, I could see what the hell I was doing. It definitely made a BIG difference in my welding.

Last edited: