Went to 32s

CptnMurica

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sold my 31s and got 32s almost broke even. Backset is just right no rub at full turn. I gonna maybe go up 2 more. A hair more doggy but not bad at all! Those h r springs y’all recommended are boss. Ill have to sell my shocks and get different after cycled etc

E2DCF460-91CF-4927-BCCD-63622ED1CE67.jpeg

Last edited:
They look great - a bit close to the fenders though. Do they rub when the car flexes? How far did you lift your TJ?

I'm considering to get 235/85R16 tires, according to tiresize.com that results in a 31.7" diameter. They are just 10mm wider than the 225/75R15 that I have now and I'm wondering how much of a lift I need to accommodate them if at all? The reason is that I'd rather spend my money on diff-locks and re-gearing than on a lift.

What do you think?

They look great - a bit close to the fenders though. Do they rub when the car flexes? How far did you lift your TJ?

I'm considering to get 235/85R16 tires, according to tiresize.com that results in a 31.7" diameter. They are just 10mm wider than the 225/75R15 that I have now and I'm wondering how much of a lift I need to accommodate them if at all? The reason is that I'd rather spend my money on diff-locks and re-gearing than on a lift.

What do you think?
Mine are 31.6 nominal. 16” wheel. So 32s and I basically am only lifted 3/4” right now. H r 1” springs. But it’ll vary by jeep depending on front and rear weight. Winches heavy bumpers and big spare etc. It’s functional but I am going to go up a couple inches and cycle/new shocks so I can go wheeling for real is where I’m heading. A lot!

These are 32's in my profile pic w/ 2.5" lift.
Any taller and I would need to add a step because I'm getting too old.
Besides that, I don't want to go anywhere in the Jeep that I can't go like it is currently set up.

These are 32's in my profile pic w/ 2.5" lift.
Any taller and I would need to add a step because I'm getting too old.
Besides that, I don't want to go anywhere in the Jeep that I can't go like it is currently set up.
That’s plenty looks like. That’s where I’m going to end up. Around 2 1/2-2 3/4 I don’t know. And I second the getting up in it for sure. Lol

Reactions: WestCoastDan
It's a good tweener size. Small lift, a little BL, bump it proper, get a good 4ish bias shock, auto will suck, but a stick will make it livable.
Get a bigger shovel if you want a bigger tire.

Reactions: Irun and CptnMurica
It's a good tweener size. Small lift, a little BL, bump it proper, get a good 4ish bias shock, auto will suck, but a stick will make it livable.
Get a bigger shovel if you want a bigger tire.
That’s what I have been thinking. Wish the madness would pause for a bit. Im a dedicated wheeler no straight on rock crawling tho. Thinking of least evasive way to get my 2” right now. My brain hurts. Ground Clearance is fine. Maybe 3/4 coil spacer 1” bl and call it the day. Been reading all over for ever. I have had several jeeps. First one I have crossed to the dark side with.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I've considered this move (it would definitely look better), but always talk myself out of it because 32s are:
  • Heavier.
  • Wider (11.5" only). I don't seek out sand/mud so wouldn't benefit. I also already get a lot of mud up the sides as-is even though I have the wider OEM fender.
  • More expensive.
  • Ideally I'd like to re-gear, but 32s might force the i$$ue. With the 5 speed, I can live with what I've got.
I agree that you'll want to do a full cycle and bump stop accordingly. If you need a lot of bump stop, pick up some longer shocks and wheel it!

Reactions: CptnMurica
Wider (11.5" only). I don't seek out sand/mud so wouldn't benefit. I also already get a lot of mud up the sides as-is even though I have the wider OEM fender.
There are plenty of 235/85R16 to choose from at least in Australia. That is 9.25" wide. I just don't know yet if there is a suitable rim available for the TJ. Ideally the tire does not stick out at all and is small enough not to cause trouble with steering. I know that 31x10.5R15 tires fit because that's what came with the car when I got it. The 235/85R16 are only 0.6" larger in diameter so it looks like it should work as well but I'm not sure.