What’s wrong with my Jeep?

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So a couple weeks ago, I changed the skid plate on my LJ to the UCF skid plate high clearance, and immediately I noticed vibrations, they gradually have gotten worse to the point where the vibration now sounds like this, how can I fix this?

Haven't done it yet on my Jeep but gotta start with the obvious questions. Did you do the BL and MML? Is it vibrations or just a noise. Kind of sounds like the fan is hitting the shroud

Haven't done it yet on my Jeep but gotta start with the obvious questions. Did you do the BL and MML? Is it vibrations or just a noise. Kind of sounds like the fan is hitting the shroud
Sorry what is MML? I don’t have a body lift and I don’t really want one, it is both vibrations and noise. It does sound like that but the fan is fine

That steepened the driveshaft angle and your rear pinion angle is too low now. Assuming there is a DC driveshaft installed fixing that should cure the problem.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
Drive line angles don't cause vibrations at idle when the jeep is stopped, ever. You have something hitting the tub or the fan shroud like people have suggested. If you have contact on the tub at the back of the engine a MML is a really bad idea. You absolutely don't need a DC to fix vibes when the Jeep isn't moving.

Reactions: Ante_Up and zscott
Drive line angles don't cause vibrations at idle when the jeep is stopped, ever. You have something hitting the tub or the fan shroud like people have suggested. If you have contact on the tub at the back of the engine a MML is a really bad idea. You absolutely don't need a DC to fix vibes when the Jeep isn't moving.
Was going to disagree with ya there for a moment but I full-screened the video. That noise is obviously there while he's sitting there idling at the intersection.

This is not coming from your driveshaft. With that being said, a DC driveshaft is always a good idea but that will not fix your issue at hand.

I would support the fan is hitting the shroud in some way. Which would lean me towards the fix being the MML. Considering you don't have a BL, then you're likely going to run into issues with hitting the tub.

My understanding is if you're going to do a tummy tuck of some sort, you have to do a Body Lift and a MML.

Reactions: Ante_Up and ObedaTJ
Was going to disagree with ya there for a moment but I full-screened the video. That noise is obviously there while he's sitting there idling at the intersection.
That's what I saw too. If there's no body lift MML is a bad idea. I think a close inspection is really the first step here to see what's hitting. With a high clearance skid I imagine the body is resting on the transmission at the front seam and the fan is probably banging on the shroud but who knows?

According to UCF, the ultra high clearance skid requires a 2 inch body lift, or 1 inch with tub clearance. Are you sure that is the skid you installed?

Did you install the low profile transmission mount?

Either way, grab someone you trust, who isn't your life insurance beneficiary, and have them sit in the jeep with the engine running and in drive. Preferably with their foot on the brake. Start poking around to see what is hitting.

I would suspect exhaust, especially the cat hangar. Don't discount looking at the fan shroud also.

And we all made the assumption you installed a transfer case skid. Did you? Or did you install an engine skid?

Happens at idle and seems like it gets faster with engine speed, gotta be the fan hitting the fan shroud (or hitting something anyway). I don't know anything about that high clearance skid install, but I'm guessing that it pushes the t-case higher which caused the front of the engine to tip downward slightly. Changing into R or N puts a different "torque" on the drivetrain and the angle changes just enough to lift the fan off the bottom of the shroud.

I put in a new transmission mount and it had the exact same net result.

Some options would be motor mount lift, or drill new holes in the shroud to lower it down a half inch or so.

Reactions: DaEbLe and Ante_Up