What’s your preference, automatic or manual transmission?

Davidtj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
What I do you have / perfer and why
When looking for a jeep for my son it had to be a manual so he could learn (my opinion to many kids now can’t drive manual)
For me was looking at either one but settled for manual because it’s a Jeep

Reactions: Cory Martin
For me it was slightly different.....bought an auto so my girls could drive it.

But your right, neither can drive a stick. Lol

Bought a manual as I love driving stick...plus my eldest daughter 'WANTS" to learn stick too, and after just a few lessons from me and a few nail-biting moments she's about 90% there. (very proud dad)
Having owned a few auto's in the past I just feel lazy driving them, I feel more in control and more alert in a manual. and then there's the fuel saving as well hahahahaha

Stick all the way. Both of my rides are stick, annoys the wife, but I don't care lol. I will definitely teach both of my boys how to drive stick when the time comes.

Reactions: Newadventurer
Stick, it makes me a more active and better driver. Off-road it forces you to know how much momentum you will need and to control it. Admittedly, an auto would prove superior in many off-road situations. DD a stick is more fun. I’ll teach all of mine on a stick before they ever try an automatic. They know this and want it! TJ’s, here we come!

Auto for me. When you stop while climbing up a steep obstacle it's nice to keep one foot on the brake to prevent roll back and add throttle verses slipping the clutch. It's why you see hand throttles on manual transmissions in serious rock climbers.
download.jpeg

If I was buying a sports car like a Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, etc. I wouldn't even consider an automatic. Manual transmission for those types of cars all the way.

But for a Jeep that is used on tough trails, go automatic. The torque converter inside an automatic provides 2-3X greater low-end torque for things like crawling up & over tough obstacles. And also for those tough climbs and low-speed controllability, the automatic's torque converter helps there too. While there is a 1st gear ratio for automatics, you can't compare it to the ratio of a manual transmission. Again due to the torque converter which gives what is effect an infinitely low 1st gear ratio which means you can crawl over a trail at speeds much lower than a rig with a manual transmission can. You can go as slow as you want without killing the engine.

I even converted my first TJ from its OE 5-speed manual transmission to the 32RH automatic. The benefits of having done so on the rock crawling trails my TJ is most often on never ceased to amaze me. Smoother assaults on tough obstacles, no need to stab the clutch pedal to keep the engine running, more low-end torque, better control due to the lower speeds I could drive at on the tough stuff, etc.

So if you want to really do the tough trails, go for an automatic. All the top competitors at championship level events like the King of the Hammers run automatics. Four years in a row an automatic equipped Jeep won the EMC class at King of the Hammers which has both high-speed dry lakebed racing as well as the toughest rock crawling in the road.

Here's what the inside of a top-level rock crawler looks like... take a close look at its transmission shifter. :)

KOH Automatic Shifter.jpg

I am going to use two votes, because me and my lady both prefer sticks. both of our TJ's are manuals. I like to have one more chance to start my car if the battery is dead. Cheaper to repair. We have been driving sticks our whole lives, so we are pretty good at stopping and starting on hills. I get the appeal of the auto, but we are stick people.

Like most who have posted here, all my life I was in the mannie camp, and considered those who weren't a bunch of lazy wimps. Two years back, I joined otto's. Never going back. I don't need to be one with my transmission gears any longer. I just want to get in my TJ and go.

If I had a stick, I could not even drive my TJ for the next few months.