What 2.4 engines are compatible with TJ?

PPinzino

So I have used the seach function, google, facebook, asked people, shook my magic 8 ball and am coming up with nothing concrete.

I have a 2004 auto with the 2.4... Not a real beast but it had been good. Anyways it suddenly has no compression on 1 cylinder, its not in the timing... I have checked. Before I completely tear this thing down and spend what will likely be weeks to months on a rebuild I thought to myself why not just buy a used engine to swap in and possibly rebuild mine as a spare... For the life of me I cannot find what years are compatible with the 2004 2.4. I would think the 2004 Liberty is but I read its possible they use different crankshaft sensors, I cannot find anything about 03 wranglers or libertys, I am 100% certain the a pt-cruiser will not work though they are the same, I am positive the transmission mounting or something is different. So does anybody know?

Also before you tell me to swap in a 4.0 or 5.3... Trust me I wish I could but my county is strict with emissions. They look at engine everytime and doublecheck that it is at least stock looking, so unless I can convince them it says 4 cylinder by accident and means 6 I am SOL.

Last edited:
***Update***
I believe I can use a 2003 wrangler/Liberty engine, def not an 04 liberty as they did change so for future reference there you guys go. It is irrelevant though as I go into it yesterday and found the issue... I dont know how or why but a valve broke off at the stem, the piston appears ok with no visible cracks or gouges though I will probably replace it to be safe. Luckily as far as the 2.4 cylinder head goes I do believe I can grab a head off of darn near any 2003-2004 2.4 and it'll work and luckily that engine was in a ton of dodge/chrysler products.

Reactions: Chris
@PPinzino, that head most likely is still good. Take it to a machine shop, they can magnaflux it to check for leaks, that's routine stuff. They can replace the valve and have them do a complete valve job.
That engine should be good as new.

That is weird for a valve to break like that

Reactions: Chris
Oh this head is shot, when the valve broke off it compressed between the cylinder and the head and gouged it pretty good. I am not sure it is even worth rebuilding this head...

Reactions: KCsTJ
Oh this head is shot, when the valve broke off it compressed between the cylinder and the head and gouged it pretty good. I am not sure it is even worth rebuilding this head...
Gotcha, well it may be worth it to get an opinion from a machine shop. Those guys can fix certain problems in a cylinder head.
A crack, that's bad, but a gouge mark may be okay, may be worth a drive to the nearest machine shop for their opinion

Reactions: PPinzino
***Update***
I believe I can use a 2003 wrangler/Liberty engine, def not an 04 liberty as they did change so for future reference there you guys go. It is irrelevant though as I go into it yesterday and found the issue... I dont know how or why but a valve broke off at the stem, the piston appears ok with no visible cracks or gouges though I will probably replace it to be safe. Luckily as far as the 2.4 cylinder head goes I do believe I can grab a head off of darn near any 2003-2004 2.4 and it'll work and luckily that engine was in a ton of dodge/chrysler products.

Good to know, and thanks for the update! The 2.4 was indeed used in tons of Chrysler and Dodge applications, so finding one shouldn’t be an issue.