What about this LJR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a nice LJR. One concern would be how many miles was it towed? Also the carfax lists the color as black when it was titled in Florida. Carfax is well known for mistakes but I would make sure it wasn't recently repainted. I can't tell what size tires it has but they do look like they might be a little large for the lift. Otherwise just check the usual TJ items.

Looks like a nice LJR. One concern would be how many miles was it towed? Also the carfax lists the color as black when it was titled in Florida. Carfax is well known for mistakes but I would make sure it wasn't recently repainted. I can't tell what size tires it has but they do look like they might be a little large for the lift. Otherwise just check the usual TJ items.
I have the same questions about being towed. I have looked in detail at the pictures and see very little rock chips etc that may show toad miles. Did not see black on the carfax but the build sheet says it was bright silver metallic. I was able to zoom in and see the tires are 285/75 16's. Yes, it needs more lift. I plan to put a BL on anything I buy.

I have towed Jeeps many miles behind motor homes. I have had very few rock chips from towing, more chips from debris on roads I drive

Don't think I've seen a rear tire carrier quite like that. Looks custom built. Everything else looks clean. Having toad miles and not knowing how many could be a bargaining chip in your favor.

Don't think I've seen a rear tire carrier quite like that. Looks custom built. Everything else looks clean. Having toad miles and not knowing how many could be a bargaining chip in your favor.
They have already told me "almost every Jeep has been toad". BS for sure but that's going to be their stance. Tire carrier sucks, I just hope the tub is in good condition above the taillights because I would never keep that thing. At least it looks like it can be unbolted from the bumper.

Reactions: bobthetj03
It looks like a nice jeep. I bet @Starrs could find you a manual, clean, low mileage LJR fairly quickly

How far away is this from you?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783885105/overview/

It does mention light rust on the fender and a dent but if the rest is solid it's a great deal. (easily fixed for less than the other jeep)

And an LJR Sahara

It looks like a nice jeep. I bet @Starrs could find you a manual, clean, low mileage LJR fairly quickly

How far away is this from you?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783885105/overview/

It does mention light rust on the fender and a dent but if the rest is solid it's a great deal. (easily fixed for less than the other jeep)

And an LJR Sahara
I've seen this one and its not too far. I kind of like the idea of having to go somewhere to buy one. Flying and driving back would be even better. This silver LJR is in my town.

Reactions: Starrs
Sounds like a fair deal to me. The paint code, PSB, matches, the miles are low, the home built bumpers wouldn't bother me. The automatic/pcm issues are old news that has been largely resolved.

I would take a OBD II tester and look for any recent mil codes that have been erased and make sure the Jeep will pass a California type smog test that most OBD II testers have built in.

If all that checks out and you like rig buy it and enjoy.

The automatic/pcm issues are old news that has been largely resolved.
It looks like the PCM may have already been replaced with a Mopar unit. I believe the orange info stickers are what they used on the remanufactured units. Might be a nice bonus.

It looks like the PCM may have already been replaced with a Mopar unit. I believe the orange info stickers are what they used on the remanufactured units. Might be a nice bonus.
I really know nothing about this. I currently have a 05 TJ with a manual and from what I know the PCM issues are with autos. After running around tonight I am unsure of buying a manual.

Yes the PCM issue is only with the autos in 05-06. At that time Jeep integrated the TCM Module into the PCM. The most common failure results in a hard shift between 1st and 2nd when the Jeep is first driven after sitting a while. I'm sure if it has been determined what the issue is. Some have said cleaning the solder on the board can fix it. Regardless it isn't as bad as some have made it out to be and simply replacing the PCM fixes the issue. The unlimiteds were offered with 6 speed manuals in 05-06. The 04's are all autos.

Status
Not open for further replies.