What aftermarket amplifier can be fitted inside the center console on a 2004 TJ?

R.Flores

Supporting Member
What after market amplifier, if any, can be fitted inside the console on a 2004 Wrangler TJ? Apparently the original one is defective.

After changing the subwoofer speaker to a Kicker 6.75 I bought a Kicker PXA200.1(small and compact) to mount under the dash and remove the factory amp on my 2003 Sahara. I haven't installed it yet but will when the weather gets warmer this spring.

I'd be wary of placing any amplifier that puts out much power inside the console where there would be zero air circulation. They can get hot and die if they can't dissipate their heat.

Reactions: skrelnik
I'd be wary of placing any amplifier that puts out much power inside the console where there would be zero air circulation. They can get hot and die if they can't dissipate their heat.

Agreed with Jerry, but Soundigital makes some small powerful amps.

https://soundigitalusa.com/products/400-4-evox/
Screenshot_20210101-102520.jpgScreenshot_20210101-102531.jpg

Agreed with Jerry, but Soundigital makes some small powerful amps.
Powerful means lots of watts which means lots of heat is generated. That's not a problem in the open air but not in a small confined area with zero air circulation like inside the console.

Powerful means lots of watts which means lots of heat is generated. That's not a problem in the open air but not in a small confined area with zero air circulation like inside the console.

Relatively powerful...the posted specs are 66 watts RMS at 4 ohm. The amp is 4.8"x4.2"x2" and does not run hot, but again, like you, I would not recommend an amp in the center console. Behind the steering column is the safest/best place.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Can this be somehow connected through the same harness that's already available? That's my main reason to consider in side the console.

Can this be somehow connected through the same harness that's already available? That's my main reason to consider in side the console.

What are you looking to add? Just an amplifier to power the subwoofer, or do you want an amplifier to power all five speakers? Do you have the stock head unit?

Stock head unit? Please clarify. I traced connections from the radio radio connector to the sub amp connector and all have continuity.
I am not at all familiarized on how the "defective" amplifier works. If it is only amplifying the sub or all speakers.

Stock head unit? Please clarify. I traced connections from the radio radio connector to the sub amp connector and all have continuity.
I am not at all familiarized on how the "defective" amplifier works. If it is only amplifying the sub or all speakers.

The stock head unit is the radio that originally came with the Jeep. The original amplifier that you are saying is not working only powers the subwoofer in the center console and the amplifier gets the signal from the other four channels.

If you want to replace the original amplifier you should also replace the original subwoofer. You will be able to route the signal from that original harness over to the new amplifier, if the amplifier accepts speaker level inputs, which most do, but double check before buying an amplifier.

Behind the steering column is the best place for an amplifier - Gets good air flow, grounding points are close by, there is an access hole through the firewall to route the power wire to the battery, and no concerns of water damage. Plus it is hidden so theft should not be a concern.

IMG_20200519_151102.jpgIMG_20200519_151010.jpg

Thanks. The radio is not actually the original that came from factory. The previous owner did a lousy job to install this aftermarket by cutting all wires and attaching them covered with electric tape. I decided to purchase an original Jeep pigtail and returned all connections to "normal". Besides, also purchased a female and made a connection as it was supposed to the aftermarket radio harness. Lot of work but I like things plug and play. The hardest? Figure out from the wire color soup in my TJ to the EIA color coding standards. All in all now knowing that only the sub is amplified, should be easier to purchase an aftermarket amplifier. By the way, the subwoofer is a new one with 4 ohms impedance. Appreciate all the help.

I'd be surprised if there's room inside the console for the Kicker amp. It's pretty tight in there.
I mounted mine by the fuse box above the passengers feet. This kept the power lead short. And running the wires to the sub through the console was very easy.

That's neat and close to the console conector where I want to plug it. Thanks. What are those those stand off made of?