What Alternator Fusible Link for new battery cables?

Nordic

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,

Working on replacing my battery cables and lugs - they're both fairly shot.
Anyways, the only thing I have a question on is on the fusible link between the battery and the alternator. I'm looking to replace the fusible link with an in-line fuse, and am wondering what AMP fuse I should get. The P/N for my alternator is 56041864AA, which doing a google search shows as 117 amp, but then I read else-wear that the fuse should be based on the alternator wire. I will be using 6 AWG for this (same that custombatterycables.com uses), and a google search shows that max Amperage for 6 AWG is 75 so I'm a bit confused.

Also, for actually holding the in line mega-fuse, what solution did you all come up with? I can't simply bolt the in line fuse to the alternator and bolt the alternator cable to the fuse, right? Would I have to mount a fuse holder to the fender and run two separate wires to and from the holder?

Thanks is advance!

A fusible link is just a short length of a smaller gauge cable crimped/spliced into the middle of the larger gauge cable leading to the alternator. In the TJ's case the fusible link is just a short length of 10 gauge cable spliced/crimped into the middle of the 8 gauge cable that runs between the alternator and battery. Fusible link wire has a special high temperature insulation so if it blows/gets hot it won't catch on fire. Stay with a fusible link for that circuit, it has been proven to be best at that job and far better than a fuse.

Last edited: