What are our TJs really worth?

I think the LJR's will hold their values pretty well. They only made 6k of them and it's really, I feel like the last of the real Jeeps. It's almost the last era of all vehicles that you can still work on yourself pretty easily. Not too many electronics but yet still livable. I don't think it will be a collectors item per say but will definitely be desired by people.

in az a clean tj rubi avg.16 to 25k with bout 80 to 140 k mi.i gave 14 for mine 7 months ago no rust 1 owner in flagstaff 3"lift bluetooth new tires warn bumpers and new xrc9500(I know cheap)engine runs like new....it is my DD and think I got lucky....I wanted a stick so I looked for awhile..goes down the hwy 75 no prob.and climbs any rocks I have the guts to try. ya it would take close to 30 to get mine from me.

in az a clean tj rubi avg.16 to 25k with bout 80 to 140 k mi.i gave 14 for mine 7 months ago no rust 1 owner in flagstaff 3"lift bluetooth new tires warn bumpers and new xrc9500(I know cheap)engine runs like new....it is my DD and think I got lucky....I wanted a stick so I looked for awhile..goes down the hwy 75 no prob.and climbs any rocks I have the guts to try. ya it would take close to 30 to get mine from me.

I don't see any "cheap" Rubicons around here. Nothing under $15K with low miles. Maybe it is regional and some places they aren't worth much.

My son tried his best to talk me into a new Wrangler or the imaginary 2 door Gladiator which I was actually waiting for and dragging my feet out of curiosity. But when they rolled out that monster I knew I didn’t want one so I started looking for a stockish, no lift, automatic, hardtop wrangler. Not really knowing models but knowing what looked good to me I knew I didn’t want to back up to a Cj. Had an 84 Cj8 so I wanted something newer. Didn’t want square headlights either. Drove a few newer ones with steering/tire issues. Had to keep looking, but I finally found my ‘02 Tj, drove fine, very clean, original paint, higher mileage than I wanted but new tires, $9500.00. Way cheaper than a 2019, no car payments and another retirement project. My retirement theory has always been ‘when you stop moving you die.’

Why are you wanting to sell?

Just kicking it around a little. I have a hard on for a mid year Vette convertible that I want to drop and LS motor in and just drive it. Problem is the damn cars are so expensive even for junk. Just thinking about things is all. My TJ is here to stay for now. It is fun and I can take the top down even though it is a little bit of a drag with the complexity of it and not hauling your side windows or they get scratched from all the vibrations of driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
Just kicking it around a little. I have a hard on for a mid year Vette convertible that I want to drop and LS motor in and just drive it. Problem is the damn cars are so expensive even for junk. Just thinking about things is all. My TJ is here to stay for now. It is fun and I can take the top down even though it is a little bit of a drag with the complexity of it and not hauling your side windows or they get scratched from all the vibrations of driving.
Just keep it topless and doorless. If you sell it you’ll wind up regretting it I’m sure. I went a yr without my Jeep and it literally killed me haha. I had to get another one.

A number of things are at play -

The TJ , even though widely produced , has been out of production a relatively long time ....to the point that some people don't know what a TJ is (hey Dad , was Paul McCartney in a band before Wings?)

Also , there are some exaggerated values going on by sellers , and most bona fide TJ owners are somewhat price sensitive ...because they know full well the thing is going to cost money to set up like they want , or they at least know what to look for and build costs.

To think they are relics is wrong , and to think they are A/C Cobras is also a fallacy .

I know when mine has the top down, and it's a cool summer afternoon , mine feels like a million bucks .

Prices are regional. Seattle area economy is booming and people here have money to spend on toys. Nice TJ’s that are low miles and stock command top dollar. Nicely built out ones on dealer lots sell very well. I spent several months looking for a low mile unmolested TJ and the prices for those where always at the top of the range for sure. I purchased 2 new JK’s, an 08 Rubi and a 12 Sport. Drove both for several years and sold/traded in them both for a surprising amount, like 4-5k less than I purchased new. People mention the new JLs dragging the price of used TJs down and that may be. A base JL is still over 30K around these parts and it’s easy to spend 45 grand on a Rubicon, so a nice 16k TJ doesn’t look so bad. I buy most my vehicles out of state because there are less good deals in the greater Seattle area.

Reactions: lindsey97
A number of things are at play -

The TJ , even though widely produced , has been out of production a relatively long time ....to the point that some people don't know what a TJ is (hey Dad , was Paul McCartney in a band before Wings?)

Also , there are some exaggerated values going on by sellers , and most bona fide TJ owners are somewhat price sensitive ...because they know full well the thing is going to cost money to set up like they want , or they at least know what to look for and build costs.

To think they are relics is wrong , and to think they are A/C Cobras is also a fallacy .

I know when mine has the top down, and it's a cool summer afternoon , mine feels like a million bucks .
If I was looking for a TJR I’d only be interested in a stock unmolested platform. I’d pay more for a stock tj than I would one that has been messed with.

If I was looking for a TJR I’d only be interested in a stock unmolested platform. I’d pay more for a stock tj than I would one that has been messed with.
I agree. I bought a low mileage modified TJ Rubicon , and ultimately, all that had been done to it was worthless. And to make it worse , I had to make immediate changes to make it drivable ..so began an unplanned build.

I have a gift for that kind of thing .

I have mixed feelings about the
Jeep market now .

The TJ takes a dedicated owner who can spin a wrench a little or at least pay the shop to.

There's just something about the JK and later vehicles that misses the mark for me.

At the same time when I say that I feel like the guy who says he really doesn't want to go out with Christie Brinkley.

I know those vehicles are extremely nice and very capable.

I think the truth is I'm so deep in my TJ affair , to consider the later models means I have to admit I've been throwing money at the wrong girl . That's just pride .

Back on topic , nice TJ's and LJ's bring the best money at the end of the day. If someone cares about their TJ's value , they need to care for their TJ.

Why in the world would anyone sell their Jeep? It's not my daily driver but it is my favorite toy including the Harley. (Neither one marks its territory, I replace gaskets as needed)

Why in the world would anyone sell their Jeep? It's not my daily driver but it is my favorite toy including the Harley. (Neither one marks its territory, I replace gaskets as needed)
The only reason we accept on the forum is to get a newer , lower mileage ,or "bigger" Jeep.

Occasionally someone comes up with " their wife is pregnant" ,and we know the child probably belongs to the UPS driver , so we advise them not to sell.