What are you guys using for an engine stand on the 4.0?

TJProjectRon

Supporting Member
What are you guys using for an engine stand on the 4.0? They are long and heavy placing a lot of leveraged weight on the rotating mechanism making it hard to turn the engine. Think i read on this site the 4.0 weighs about 550 lbs. Not sure if that is fully dressed out with accessories.

What are you guys using for an engine stand on the 4.0? They are long and heavy placing a lot of leveraged weight on the rotating mechanism making it hard to turn the engine. Think i read on this site the 4.0 weighs about 550 lbs. Not sure if that is fully dressed out with accessories.
Build yourself a “rotater “ attachment on your engine stand with a used air -brake slack adjuster and S-cam that you can pick up at any repair shop that fixes semi trucks
- we throw them in the metal scrap bin at our shop
Ask any shopman/servicemanager
- a box of donuts and coffee for the mechanics goes a long ways , hint hint
😂 I’m talking from experience
Lol

Reactions: TJProjectRon
Build yourself a “rotater “ attachment on your engine stand with a used air -brake slack adjuster and S-cam that you can pick up at any repair shop that fixes semi trucks
- we throw them in the metal scrap bin at our shop
Ask any shopman/servicemanager
- a box of donuts and coffee for the mechanics goes a long ways , hint hint
😂 I’m talking from experience
Lol
Don't guess i have run across anything like what you are describing. You wouldn't have a picture would you?

Don't guess i have run across anything like what you are describing. You wouldn't have a picture would you?
Sorry Ron
not close by,
one of my buddies built one years ago and it be a job and a half to locate him now
- it be a good excuse for me to build one myself and send pics your way, it’s actually no big deal
- if you stop by a semi truck repair shop that performs gear/diff work, you’ll probably notice one to give you an idea
- it’s basically using the worm gear of the slack adjuster to rotate the engine or diff that’s mounted on the engine stand
- the geardrive of the slack adjuster then can be driven with a ratchet or impact gun

—•|||||•—👋🏿

Sorry Ron
not close by,
one of my buddies built one years ago and it be a job and a half to locate him now
- it be a good excuse for me to build one myself and send pics your way, it’s actually no big deal
- if you stop by a semi truck repair shop that performs gear/diff work, you’ll probably notice one to give you an idea
- it’s basically using the worm gear of the slack adjuster to rotate the engine or diff that’s mounted on the engine stand
- the geardrive of the slack adjuster then can be driven with a ratchet or impact gun

—•|||||•—👋🏿
Ok thank you, Detour! I've seen some engine stands advertised that use a gear drive with a crank handle to rotate the engine. Do you think they would rotate the 4.0 satisfactorily? Most of these i have seen have a weight capacity of 1250 or less.

I used one made by my grandfather that he used to rebuilt VW engines. Worked fine for the 4.0 out of my XJ. Looks like it's too heavy in the Pic but I had it angled down a notch on the adjustment bracket.

109648202355.jpg

What weight limit on your engine stand?
I have no idea. I bought it from a guy on marketplace and he got it with a Chevy 350 he bought. Is a 4.0 heavier than a cast iron V8? He said it would flex a bit with the weight of the engine and it did. It seemed to hold up pretty well to me. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

I've just used a regular 'ol stand. Yes they can be a bit trippy on crap floor, but not to the point of it falling over on it's own. If it's hard to rotate just get a longer handle or pipe to stick in the holes. I had a huge straight 6 from a 50's or 60's Oliver tractor that easily outweighs the 4.0 and longer too. If nervous just weld a bit of bracing on the front leg to extend it out a bit and stabilize it.

I've just used a regular 'ol stand. Yes they can be a bit trippy on crap floor, but not to the point of it falling over on it's own. If it's hard to rotate just get a longer handle or pipe to stick in the holes. I had a huge straight 6 from a 50's or 60's Oliver tractor that easily outweighs the 4.0 and longer too. If nervous just weld a bit of bracing on the front leg to extend it out a bit and stabilize it.
Looking strongly at a Harbor Freight 2000# stand and the load leveler. Stand is $109 with no discount.

Last edited:
We had our 4.0L on a cheap 750 lb stand. It seemed sketchy so we welded a support gusset onto it. Also had to weld on a plate to pick up the upper block holes. Worked fine with the gusset. I will see if I can link the pic.