What are you using for a transmission and transfer case with your LS swap?

CJsWranglers

I was wondering what everyone is using for a transmission and a transfer case after doing a LS swap? I have a 2005 TJ with 6-speed manual(NSG370) stock and a stock transfer case(NV245). My intentions are for rock crawling NOT my daily driver. It will be trailered. I prefer a manual trany over an automatic but that doesnt mean its out of the question. I am open to any suggestions... Thanks

Since it's for rock crawling you really (!) should go with an automatic transmission. Really.

3x more low-end torque for getting up and over the rocks, plus its torque converter gives an infinitely low 1st gear ratio and an infinitely high crawl ratio.

I converted from my TJ's OE 5-speed manual to an automatic 15 years ago and that was the single best most valuable upgrade I ever did. It ranks just ahead of the f/r lockers and 5.38 gearing.

Reactions: bromel
Since it's for rock crawling you really (!) should go with an automatic transmission. Really.

3x more low-end torque for getting up and over the rocks, plus its torque converter gives an infinitely low 1st gear ratio and an infinitely high crawl ratio.

I converted from my TJ's OE 5-speed manual to an automatic 15 years ago and that was the single best most valuable upgrade I ever did. It ranks just ahead of the f/r lockers and 5.38 gearing.
OK which transmission did you go with?

OK which transmission did you go with?
The Chrysler 32RH. But for your GM V8 I'd go with the GM automatic that engine came with or something like a 4L60. But I'm definitely not one who knows GM automatics, I just know it's used in lots of GM powered rock crawlers.

The Chrysler 32RH. But for your GM V8 I'd go with the GM automatic that engine came with or something like a 4L60. But I'm definitely not one who knows GM automatics, I just know it's used in lots of GM powered rock crawlers.
The motor came to me stripped down this is why I am looking for a transmission and transfer case knowing I cant use the stock ones

Take it from someone who rock crawls (me), a manual transmission is a mistake.
X2, I ordered my previous TJ with a 5-speed manual because I wanted to get into the tough stuff... rock crawling. Big mistake. Love that I had good guidance from mrblaine who even found a good used automatic for me I was able to install with no real problems.

Reactions: Blondie70
I am open to the idea of an automatic... which one are you running with

I don't have an LS, I just have the 4.0 with the NV3550 manual transmission. I rock crawl with it all the time, and each time I do I desperately wish I had an automatic :LOL:

X2, I ordered my previous TJ with a 5-speed manual because I wanted to get into the tough stuff... rock crawling. Big mistake. Love that I had good guidance from mrblaine who even found a good used automatic I was able to install with no real problems.

Yep, I'll likely end up swapping my NV3550 out for a 42RLE. As much as I dislike some of the things about the 42RLE, I'd rather have an automatic when rock crawling. It's just one less thing to worry about when you're trying to do very technical obstacles.

I don't have an LS, I just have the 4.0 with the NV3550 manual transmission. I rock crawl with it all the time, and each time I do I desperately wish I had an automatic :LOL:
Oh, you’ll be fine, and it’s more challenging too. 😉 Pushing the gas on an auto is too easy. You know you love it.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and Chris
Oh, you’ll be fine, and it’s more challenging too. 😉 Pushing the gas on an auto is too easy. You know you love it.
An automatic being easier to rock crawl with is a very minor benefit when compared to its other benefits including significantly more low-end torque and an infinitely low 1st gear ratio.

Those benefits are why automatics are so prevalent in serious rock crawling rigs like compete in King of the Hammers.

Yep, I'll likely end up swapping my NV3550 out for a 42RLE. As much as I dislike some of the things about the 42RLE, I'd rather have an automatic when rock crawling. It's just one less thing to worry about when you're trying to do very technical obstacles.
Have you considered an AW4 swap? Swapping the NV3550 for a 42RLE is a nightmare wiring wise as it is, might not be all that much more difficult to put in a good ol' Cherokee AW4. Probably need new driveshafts, though. That 42RLE overdrive is 🤮

Just going off experience, 5.3 swapped a yj and the customer was hell bent on what him and the retard I worked for called "beef". He used a nv4500. I made a crossmember and put it in. The whole build looked great. He ran out of money prior to putting it on the road/trail. 🤷‍♂️