What Are Your New Year's Routines?

. . . when did a new year become such a celebration? 🤣
1561. Earlier if you're a complete Pagan.

You haven't really celebrated the new year until you've experienced Hogmanay in Edinburgh.

_104860663_gettyimages-460918746.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/38477036

We'll probably be in bed by 10. Got things to do early tomorrow. Usually get awakened at 12 by fireworks or gun shots, and the Dog going nuts.....

Reactions: mrjp
We'll probably be in bed by 10. Got things to do early tomorrow. Usually get awakened at 12 by fireworks or gun shots, and the Dog going nuts.....
Forget going to sleep around here until at least 1. Fireworks have been popping off all day, and come midnight its gonna sound like the battle of the bulge.

Reactions: mrjp and Rich1961
Forget going to sleep around here until at least 1. Fireworks have been popping off all day, and come midnight its gonna sound like the battle of the bulge.
It does get pretty loud just before midnight here also, but after getting the dog to settle down, I usually have no problem getting back to sleep. :) We're going to Breakfast at 8, probably not many in the restaurant that early on New Years Day.....

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard the "two left feet" excuse - because I used to use it myself! Anybody can learn to dance if they're willing to keep at it - I'm living proof!
Me too. Couldn't dance for shit until I started taking Country Dance lessons in the mid to late 80's. Actually got to be a decent dancer and was on a dance team for a few years. Loved it!

Me too. Couldn't dance for shit until I started taking Country Dance lessons in the mid to late 80's. Actually got to be a decent dancer and was on a dance team for a few years. Loved it!
My first exposure to dance was Greek folk dancing - and it was VERY ugly at first. After about 6 weeks of classes, I was a tinsy bit better than I was when I walked in the place - plus I was having fun - so I stuck to it and eventually became a performance level dancer.

Reactions: Rich1961
My first exposure to dance was Greek folk dancing - and it was VERY ugly at first. After about 6 weeks of classes, I was a tinsy bit better than I was when I walked in the place - plus I was having fun - so I stuck to it and eventually became a performance level dancer.
I struggled for a while with the lessons, then one day it just clicked for me. Glad I stayed with it. I wouldn't say the dance team was performance level, but we did dance at many county fairs, and the California State Fair a couple of times.

I struggled for a while with the lessons, then one day it just clicked for me. Glad I stayed with it. I wouldn't say the dance team was performance level, but we did dance at many county fairs, and the California State Fair a couple of times.
We performed all over the place - which isn't the same as competing or anything. To this day, I flounder around like a fish out of water when I'm trying to learn something new - its pretty ugly but I expect it and just work through it. I even taught Greek dance for awhile. I've seen Country Western line dancing done - its pretty intricate and interesting, and parts are not dissimilar to Greek and other folkloric line dances.

I don't know if Country dancing uses the "grapevine" step or not - but it took me 1.2 forevers to get that one down. As a result, it turned out that when someone was having extra problems learning grapevine in class, they'd get sent to me because I knew how hard it was so could relate!

We performed all over the place - which isn't the same as competing or anything. To this day, I flounder around like a fish out of water when I'm trying to learn something new - its pretty ugly but I expect it and just work through it. I even taught Greek dance for awhile. I've seen Country Western line dancing done - its pretty intricate and interesting, and parts are not dissimilar to Greek and other folkloric line dances.

I don't know if Country dancing uses the "grapevine" step or not - but it took me 1.2 forevers to get that one down. As a result, it turned out that when someone was having extra problems learning grapevine in class, they'd get sent to me because I knew how hard it was so could relate!
The Grapevine sounds familiar, but it's been so long I honestly can't remember. I didn't do a lot of Line Dancing, mostly couples dancing. I also got into East Coast Swing and West Coast Swing, but never got particularly good with them. It's great exercise also!

I ate supper and fell asleep on the couch.. woke up to some kind of noise and was looking at Ferris Bueller on TV. Looked down at the clock and it was 12:06. I call that a successful New Years.

Same time last year I was in a bar in Northern China toasting New Years with a Russian, Irishman, Aussie, few Chinese of course and a funny expat from Mississippi. Sure I was miserable for the next 2 days but that one will be hard to beat.

Reactions: mrjp and Apparition