What can I wrap around my tube doors for armrest comfort & cosmetics?

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a line on a set of tube doors, I want to wrap the upper portion where I would rest my left arm & maybe the center crossbar tube. I'd like a tan that would match the roll cage pads & soft top, plus I think it'd make it more comfortable. I have some motorcycle exhaust wrap that just looks perfect for it, but it's fiberglass so I don't think that'd be a good plan. Any ideas? My googling skills are failing me today.

Try a pool noodle for the foam part... Wrap with something else?

Just a suggestion 😎

I'm not going to put foam on it, I think just a tight wrap of some fabric that'll reject heat & make it a touch softer. Kevlar fabric maybe?

I'm not going to put foam on it, I think just a tight wrap of some fabric that'll reject heat & make it a touch softer. Kevlar fabric maybe?

Maybe. Not sure how abrasive it would be. I thought you were looking for comfort. Another option on comfort side is plumbing pipe insulation perhaps.

Buy some wide tie-down straps from Harbor Freight and cut 'em to length for wrapping the tubes. Unfortunately, the color won't match. It would be more of a stand-out accent color.

Reactions: qslim
Maybe. Not sure how abrasive it would be. I thought you were looking for comfort. Another option on comfort side is plumbing pipe insulation perhaps.

You know maybe some padding wouldn't be a bad idea. I just looked on Jeggs like @Airjunky suggested & found some low profile adhesive padding, maybe something like that and then a nice tight wrap. Just don't know about the wrap part - something that's weather proof & won't fade, I just don't know if kevlar fabric would be too abrasive like you said.

Buy some wide tie-down straps from Harbor Freight and cut 'em to length for wrapping the tubes. Unfortunately, the color won't match. It would be more of a stand-out accent color.

I had a hard enough time getting permission to install tube doors on the TJ that my wife insists upon driving doorless, no way I'm going to wrap them in bright yellow :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
I had a hard enough time getting permission to install tube doors on the TJ that my wife insists upon driving doorless, no way I'm going to wrap them in bright yellow :LOL:
Head to Costco and buy Band-aids in bulk. They're both tan and padded. And when wifey realizes what you've done, you'll have plenty left over to put over the wounds you'll have after the beating! :ROFLMAO:

I saw an armrest pad "C1" from a wheelchair at one time, it was cool. That was long time ago I forgot where I saw it, use your imagination but it is something like this:
1592163741838.png

Last edited:
You know maybe some padding wouldn't be a bad idea. I just looked on Jeggs like @Airjunky suggested & found some low profile adhesive padding, maybe something like that and then a nice tight wrap. Just don't know about the wrap part - something that's weather proof & won't fade, I just don't know if kevlar fabric would be too abrasive like you said.
Sunbrella. It's a durable material used on boat covers. Totally weather proof & won't fade at all. Make covers for your pads with it & attach with Velcro or snaps like the little pads on a BMX bike handlebars.

Reactions: fixmysix
Head to Costco and buy Band-aids in bulk. They're both tan and padded. And when wifey realizes what you've done, you'll have plenty left over to put over the wounds you'll have after the beating! :ROFLMAO:
Are you even trying to help?!?! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
I've always thought it would be a cool idea to get a roll cage or tube doors wrapped in a color matching leather. You can stitch padding inside and use button snaps to install and take off. If you wanna get fancy, you can take it to someone who knows how to tool leather and get some cool designs going on.

I would use tan TPO cover tape. It is non reinforced and backed with butyl tape that will bond to steel when used with adhesion primer. It would provide thin smooth padding for comfort and abrasion and UV durability since it is a roofing product.