What coolant do I need for my 1998 TJ 2.5?

French_Bulldog

Supporting Member
Backstory: (question in last paragraph)

I have a slow coolant leak that I believe is coming from the hose connection at the engine, or perhaps from the hose itself near that area. The level in the reservoir is now lower than it should be to drive. While I’m confident I’ll be able to repair it…

I’m confused on which coolant I need as I can’t find definitive information. I don’t have the manual. OEM website says I need this: https://oemeasymatch.com/products/oem-extended-life-orange-ii-antifreeze-coolant/

I’m just not sure if that’s the same type of coolant as the green stuff that’s in my system right now. I’ve heard about the dangers of mixing different types of coolant. I’d just flush it all out and refill but I’ll have about 30 minutes of daylight after work to flush and refill.

So, on to my question: how do I figure out if this OEM stuff recommended for my 98 is the same type of coolant as the green coolant that’s already in the Jeep and has been there since I bought it in April?

Just a heads up.
I recently bought some Mopar (OAT) coolant for a different vehicle. Not for TJ.
The old coolant looked orange in my catch pan.
New coolant looked orange in the bottle.
It was actually purple/pink when poured into a clear cup.

I always use Prestone "All makes and models" green coolant in all of my TJs, regardless of the year. I'm strange and flush/replace my coolant every 3 years though.