What disc brake pad spreader do you use?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I've now broken 3 HF tools for compressing the caliper piston. I'm tired of using a cheap tool and looking for something that will both work and last. What do you use?

I flip an old pad around and use a C-clamp. I’ve never been able to make it happen fast and have to give the fluid time to flow back to the reservoir. Take the cap off before you start and watch your level. My clamps were bought in the early 80s and still work fine.

I've always just used a decent C-Clamp. Never even been something I thought about because it always worked easily.

Reactions: bucky
I'm in the nonautomotive tool clamp group... I have a fairly thick piece of aluminum bar stock that I drop into the caliper and then I use a trigger clamp like this:
1639526310743.png

Reactions: Claybirdd
A short prybar before removing the caliper or a c clamp if the caliper is off. I always open the bleeder before pushing the piston back in. This keeps the shitty overheated fluid in the caliper from going back into the hydraulics. It can also prevent expensive damage on most new antilock systems. After I put it back together and pump up the pedal I open the bleeder screws again and gravity bleed while I refill the reservoir.