What do I do about this hole in frame?

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I took off some side steps and am concerned about the exposed metal rusting in the holes. What is the best paint or other product to treat them with?

15673838295562069205497.jpg

1567384024194-1778878540.jpg

You're profile says you're in Texas so you shouldn't have to worry about road salt. Maybe saltwater if you're near the Gulf.

If it were me, I'd just coat the hold really well with some black rustoleum spray paint. You could go all out and clean the inside of your frame and coat the inside and outside with internal frame coating and POR-15.

Where you are, I'd just do the rustoleum.

Reactions: rasband and AndyG
I should add, I'd clean up the little bit of surface rust you do have there before painting. If there is some on the inside edge of the holes, hit it with a round / rat tail file. The rest I'd just hit with sand paper then spray it.

I actually use nail polish. It comes in every shade under the sun. Made to not chip or crack. Has a handy little paintbrush built in. Much more durable than those "touch up" crap in the Napa. Perfect to get into the crevices. Spray paint will put so much overspray on the frame to hopefully get all of the little hole. Or spray paint into a paper cup and use a Q-tip to dip in the paint and try to get in the hole.