What do you think of coated floorboard?

Xposure

TJ Enthusiast
Im looking at a Jeep today that the frame and undercarriage looks real clean, but inside the floor pan (where your feet are) has all been sprayed black. It was suggested that it was done as a preventive measure but would it be common that someone see some rust and just spray this sealer all over it? It’s what is typically sprayed on the underside which I believe has rust inhibitor in it. Anyway, it makes me wonder if it had rust issues inside. Also, if it did have some rust and was coated in this stuff does it REALLY kill the rust and stop the process or does it just cover it up and hide it for several years until you put your foot through it some day?

Im looking at a Jeep today that the frame and undercarriage looks real clean, but inside the floor pan (where your feet are) has all been sprayed black. It was suggested that it was done as a preventive measure but would it be common that someone see some rust and just spray this sealer all over it? It’s what is typically sprayed on the underside which I believe has rust inhibitor in it. Anyway, it makes me wonder if it had rust issues inside. Also, if it did have some rust and was coated in this stuff does it REALLY kill the rust and stop the process or does it just cover it up and hide it for several years until you put your foot through it some day?
I’d venture to believe there was some surface rust on the floor pans and the PO got worried and started spraying everything like he did the frame more than likely. Why else would somebody just spray the floorboard.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I’d venture to believe there was some surface rust on the floor pans and the PO got worried and started spraying everything like he did the frame more than likely. Why else would somebody just spray the floorboard.

That was my thoughts on it....for what it’s worth, the frame does NOT have that on it and looks great. I figured maybe it got rained in and not dealt with properly and started some surface rust. The floor pan feels very solid and secure, IF there was some rust it was just surface. Does anyone know if that stuff really works, or is it just a bandaid that allows the rust to grow in a out of sight out of mind kind of way....until your foot goes through it. Lol.....

I used a bedliner on the floor of my last Jeep simply because I pulled the carpet out and wanted some protection from heat, noise and rust. It made clean up after wheeling a breeze. It’s hard to say what the PO’s reasons were. How does it look underneath? Any spray or rust?

The guy I bought mine from last Nov Rhino lined the floor and interior. It's much easier to clean, etc., but it also gets pretty hot without the carpeting. Not sure I would do it but I don't see a problem buying one that has had it done. As for rust, not a concern out here.....mine is rust free.

That was my thoughts on it....for what it’s worth, the frame does NOT have that on it and looks great. I figured maybe it got rained in and not dealt with properly and started some surface rust. The floor pan feels very solid and secure, IF there was some rust it was just surface. Does anyone know if that stuff really works, or is it just a bandaid that allows the rust to grow in a out of sight out of mind kind of way....until your foot goes through it. Lol.....
If it’s the whole tub I get it. Just the floor boards looks a little more weary. Maybe he just wanted it there for easy cleanup..maybe not. If there are no holes in the bed liner spray coat, it should seal out all elements from getting in. However if anything creeps it’s way into the Berliner cost and gets trapped underneath it water will be trapped and will eventually rust through. I’m not a fan of the bedliner myself.

If it’s the whole tub I get it. Just the floor boards looks a little more weary.

That’s what I thought, this isn’t like where people pull the carpet and bed liner it. It still has all the carpet, and I pulled them up all over the Jeep and it all looked great and rust free and no coatings. EXCEPT where your feet go there is a coating. I just figured maybe we feet or maybe it got rained in some and that being a low spot held moisture and they didn’t dry it properly and it developed some surface rust and he coated it with a rust inhibitor treatment, it’s what you can spray under a car...it’s different than bedliner...looks similar but has a different texture. The rest of the Jeep looked great and didn’t appear to have any rust issues.

That’s what I thought, this isn’t like where people pull the carpet and bed liner it. It still has all the carpet, and I pulled them up all over the Jeep and it all looked great and rust free and no coatings. EXCEPT where your feet go there is a coating. I just figured maybe we feet or maybe it got rained in some and that being a low spot held moisture and they didn’t dry it properly and it developed some surface rust and he coated it with a rust inhibitor treatment, it’s what you can spray under a car...it’s different than bedliner...looks similar but has a different texture. The rest of the Jeep looked great and didn’t appear to have any rust issues.
Pics?

Yes pictures please. Sounds like they JUST sprayed the lowest points in the tub and left the rest...? That is odd sounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

The floorboards are single thickness steel. Looking underneath the vehicle, are the floors rusty? If not, You're probably ok. The inside of the floor is painted, so even if it did get wet, it shouldn't have rusted. More likely, its a sound dampening material, to help prevent some noise into the cabin for the engine / transmission that lives right there.