What do you think of this TJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks almost too clean? I'd take a peek at the areas tough to touch up ( frame under the rear door, around gas tank, take a peek at the condition around the exhaust, etc. ). I paid nearly that for a 05 Rubicon with 90K in almost as clean of shape, but it was on a dealer lot and I tend to lack patience ( and my wife was in a really good mood ).

Reactions: Michigan TJ
Well there are a number of ways to look at that...

First regardless of what I say or anybody says you've got to know that it's okay underneath at any price.

Secondly that is a premium price for what it is.. I'm not saying it's a horrible deal... I do think we're getting into an age where really nice clean TJ's are going to bring top dollar... And we may start to see the x and sport models bring as much as the rubicons were a few years ago

Don't let the fact that it has under 50,000 miles make you think it isn't 16 years old.... Age effects things sometimes more when they're not used then when they are.

personally I'm not a fan of that transmission's shift feel and I wouldn't pay that much for that color and that model myself.... BUT THAT'S PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

Just because it isn't worth it to me doesn't mean it's not worth it to you... That may be everything you want... The color,
the transmission the mileage the top configuration.

I think you can get a nice LJ for that much money or a nice Rubicon....but if you're bound and determined to buy it make sure it doesn't have any rust and that it has a clean title and that it runs out and drives good without any drama.

We have a dealer here in Northeast Alabama who deals in TJ's about like that.... And he knows what he can get out of one...I would say in our area that TJ would bring between 14,500 and 16,000 at his place. but I don't think an individual could sell that jeep for that as easily down here. Also the same dealer I'm talking about would sit on it until he got his price... In other words he's not worried about market value.

There is some value added in your neck of the woods if that jeep is as rust free as they claim.... You need to check the VIN number on the frame under the passenger door and make sure it matches the vehicle and that it hasn't had a frame swap.

I'm going to add one more thing... Yes it is really on the high side for an X... But I've seen someone get one for around $10,000 and by the time they straightened it out... They had about that in it.

I'm not trying to justify paying too much... but often I would rather pay a little too much than too little. that guy did not get to enjoy that jeep at all the first year and basically spent his time trying to keep his wife from killing him over the deal.

Last edited:
The price is more fair for the same Jeep with half the miles. But times are changing, low milage, unmolested Wrangler TJ's and LJ's are becoming very rare.

Reactions: AndyG
Since I bought my 2003 TJX, a riding buddy of mine is interested in Jeep’s now. I thought I would help him and get some of your thoughts on this one. The guy selling this is the same place I bought mine.

The guy selling this is the same place I bought mine.
Maybe having bought one from the seller before, you could help your buddy get what I would consider a fair price. I think most would agree the painted frame is a red flag. The rust between the skid and frame needs further investigation.

Personally I would never buy a TJ with miles on it from any northern states. Below the salt line for me when it comes to TJ’s/LJ’s. To include where it was purchased originally.

I bought my 2005X with 46,500 miles for $12,000 in December of 2016 in central TX.

I have noticed the prices are pretty insane. I'm looking for another TJ right now, but in the $5,000-8,000 range. Very difficult to find anything clean, and very difficult to find them with less than 165,000 miles.

I just saw a 2018 JL 2-Door with 31,000 miles for $24,000. Tempting with TJ prices as high as they are.

I bought my 2005X with 46,500 miles for $12,000 in December of 2016 in central TX.

I have noticed the prices are pretty insane. I'm looking for another TJ right now, but in the $5,000-8,000 range. Very difficult to find anything clean, and very difficult to find them with less than 165,000 miles.

I just saw a 2018 JL 2-Door with 31,000 miles for $24,000. Tempting with TJ prices as high as they are.
My 06 Rubicon was 9850.00 with 78,000 miles... rebuilt title, no bondo , new winch(controller still in the zip ties), hitch, new banks exhaust, deegan wheels.

It's actually a really nice TJ at the same time it would make a great build platform. ... And the reason for this post is not talk about what a great deal of got but if you're shopping in that price range I wouldn't rule out how much you get for the money with a rebuilt title ...

and I try to be balanced when I say something like that because if you have a daughter you want to put in it that may not be the right move but if it's something you're going to lift and put 35 sound and wheel the mess out of...

I bought mine with the intention of reselling it I cannot bring myself to part with it.

My 06 Rubicon was 9850.00 with 78,000 miles... rebuilt title, no bondo , new winch(controller still in the zip ties), hitch, new banks exhaust, deegan wheels.

It's actually a really nice TJ at the same time it would make a great build platform. ... And the reason for this post is not talk about what a great deal of got but if you're shopping in that price range I wouldn't rule out how much you get for the money with a rebuilt title ...

and I try to be balanced when I say something like that because if you have a daughter you want to put in it that may not be the right move but if it's something you're going to lift and put 35 sound and wheel the mess out of...

I bought mine with the intention of reselling it I cannot bring myself to part with it.
I've started to stay away from rebuilt title's, but if a Rubi under $10K I would probably spring for it (no pun intended).

I've started to stay away from rebuilt title's, but if a Rubi under $10K I would probably spring for it (no pun intended).
Me and @Hog we're out goofing off one evening and I was telling him I'd seen one that looked kind of different we went by and took a look at it and we're kicking the tires and I noticed the fender flares were bigger than stock and I was like hey hang on a second and I looked under and saw the front differential... And I'm like wait a minute and shined the flashlight in the cab and saw the locker switch... I wasn't even really in the market to buy one . . I caught so much grief from my wife the last time.

So she came up with this plan that if I gave her some money that everything would be fine which is always the case... You just really have to not pay too much for one when you do it and you've got to be really sure that it wasn't just creamed.. I try to be careful about recommending them ... It's sort of like telling somebody to try to find somebody to marry at a strip club.... You're just looking at a different category.

I actually made a little money on the last one and I was nowhere in it as good as this one... This one was somebody's little project and it got hit in the right rear axle.

I also think one of the things that was going on was the seller thought it had damaged lockers and the first thing I did was drop the differential and found it had an airline off.

Last edited:
Me and @Hog we're out goofing off one evening and I was telling him I'd seen one that looked kind of different we went by and took a look at it and we're kicking the tires and I noticed the fender flares were bigger than stock and I was like hey hang on a second and I looked under and saw the front differential... And I'm like wait a minute and shined the flashlight in the cab and saw the locker switch... I wasn't even really in the market to buy one . . I called so much grief from my wife the last time.

So she came up with this plan that if I gave her some money that everything would be fine which is always the case... You just really have to not pay too much for one when you do it and you've got to be really sure that it wasn't just creamed.. I try to be careful about recommending them ... It's sort of like telling somebody to try to find somebody to marry at a strip club.... You're just looking at a different category.

I actually made a little money on the last one and I was nowhere in it as good as this one... This one was somebody's little project and it got hit in the right rear axle.

I also think one of the things that was going on was the seller thought it had damaged lockers and the first thing I did was drop the differential and found it had an airline off.
An airline. LOL! My wife and I have a money split deal, so I basically buy what I want when I want no questions asked. Like you said, that usually works. LOL. I am looking at one Rubicon that is going to auction. It's white and looks really good. The outside is perfect, the scrapes and possible bends are on the undercarriage. Of course, there's no pics of that. As long as it's not frame damage. I'm pretty good with that.

Reactions: Hog
An airline. LOL! My wife and I have a money split deal, so I basically buy what I want when I want no questions asked. Like you said, that usually works. LOL. I am looking at one Rubicon that is going to auction. It's white and looks really good. The outside is perfect, the scrapes and possible bends are on the undercarriage. Of course, there's no pics of that. As long as it's not frame damage. I'm pretty good with that.
I'm with you 100%

insurance companies are real quick to Total these if there's any possibility of damage to the drive train... And you really have to watch those that are hit in the front end because it will drive the shaft into the transfer case... I don't want any part of frame damage... I know it can be fixed but it just brings along too many alignment issues and things that you normally wouldn't think about having to deal with.

I think one of your best reference points is the word drivable... That tells you that you can turn the wheels and everything is mechanically okay and hopefully you're just dealing with bent metal.

Don't rule out replacing an axle or a front hub assembly or a control arm or two. And don't do it if you just don't feel good about it.

I grew up around body shops so I have a pretty good idea of what to watch for and what to expect.

I will tell you something about that category for a TJ that I didn't expect... The salvage title and lower price makes them even more desirable... My first one I didn't even want to sell and the kid would not back off... So I finally stuck a price on it and he handed over the cash ... The one I have now is really a better overall package and I've already got a standing offer on it with 3,000 profit ... I'll never see a dime of profit on my 03 that has a clean title and enough tied up in it to run the government a week.

The particular dealer that I got my last one from will buy all of these he can get.. he loves them because they're easy to fix and easy to sell.

If you tell me to I'll PM you my phone number and you can shoot me a text and I'll send you some pictures and show you what's possible with these.

Looks like they used plenty of Baby oil on the frame and Engine compartment.
Low mile vehicles can be as bad as very high mileage vehicles, unless stored and serviced correctly its only done an average 59 miles a week so what is the 16 year service history.
If its a one owner and really is near new condition then it would be worth the extra $,s to me if I was looking for one but I would want to see pics of before the full vehicle detail.
Has the OPDA been changed
Look at the build sheet, why does it have Rubicon wheels where are the front bumper jugs and why doesn't it have end caps in there place why does it have an upgraded stereo? its never been driven far enough to change things out unless the dealer as just Tarted it up a bit for more sales appeal.

Looks nice by the way and if your friend has the money to spend buy it :)

Look at the build sheet, why does it have Rubicon wheels where are the front bumper jugs and why doesn't it have end caps in there place why does it have an upgraded stereo? its never been driven far enough to change things out unless the dealer as just Tarted it up a bit for more sales appeal.
My 06 TJ has an upgraded stereo, Moab wheels, Falken M/T's, I took off the bumper end caps and changed some other things...It only has 15K miles.

• Haha
Reactions: Michigan TJ and JMT
Maybe having bought one from the seller before, you could help your buddy get what I would consider a fair price. I think most would agree the painted frame is a red flag. The rust between the skid and frame needs further investigation.

Personally I would never buy a TJ with miles on it from any northern states. Below the salt line for me when it comes to TJ’s/LJ’s. To include where it was purchased originally.
I get what you’re saying about not buying from northern states. But this is where I live and unless I want to travel to Arizona or California, which I don’t want to do, I tried to find the best Jeep I could within 150 mile radius. I looked at 6 different TJ’s with mileage varying from 92,000 to 156,000. All had quite a bit of surface rust on the frame, and one had an almost rusted thru spot. Pricing ranged from $8900 to $12,000. I paid $14,000 for my 03 with 55,000 miles. My TJ looks new compared to the ones I looked at. Also, the frame in that pic isn’t painted, it’s some kind of moly something coating that the seller uses after surface rust is removed. I started this thread to get forum members thoughts and that’s what I’m getting. So any suggestions are much appreciated and keep them coming. I’m new to Jeep’s and have a lot to learn, that’s why I’m here.

But this is where I live and unless I want to travel to Arizona or California, which I don’t want to do, I tried to find the best Jeep I could within 150 mile radius.
I respect that.

In this picture, I assumed the glossy black overspray on the plastic sway bar cover, just a hint of it can be seen, was spray paint overspray.

07A3C585-238D-4A85-A0A9-8DB9BC06FF98.jpeg

Also, are the tires Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's? If so, when was that specific tread pattern discontinued? Could be a tire that is past is usable life.

I see what you’re saying about the overspray. I haven’t looked at it, just sent the listing to my friend, so I don’t know about the tires. Thanks for the heads up on that. He called me a while ago, and said it’s kinda out of his price range, so I’ll keep looking. He’d like to find something in the $12,000-$13,000 range. Thanks for all the replies, it’s helping me to know more about these TJs. If anyone comes across one that might work for him, PM me. He’s in Traverse City, Michigan.

I see what you’re saying about the overspray. I haven’t looked at it, just sent the listing to my friend, so I don’t know about the tires. Thanks for the heads up on that. He called me a while ago, and said it’s kinda out of his price range, so I’ll keep looking. He’d like to find something in the $12,000-$13,000 range. Thanks for all the replies, it’s helping me to know more about these TJs. If anyone comes across one that might work for him, PM me. He’s in Traverse City, Michigan.
I know it seems like a stretch, but when one shows up with cash in hand, it can chage a sellers mind really quick when their eyes sees cash. Although, one might take it as insult or lowball offer.

What I would suggest is something along the lines of, “I dont have exactly what you asking for in cash, but I’d love to come put eyes on what you're selling and discuss price in person.” Be optimistic, the seller may be open to coming down on price if you can point out some things that will cost you in repairs/replacement or find comparable Jeeps (year and milage) at a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.