What do you think

Stinger

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I think I may have a pinion bearing problem that is causing the pinion depth to b off resulting it this unusual wear pattern, What say you?
Ring 1.jpg

Ring 2.jpg

Are the edges of the teeth supposed to be flattened off like that?

Blaine it is more of an increase in vibration. This is why I pulled the cover.
Here is a better indicator. As I read it the coast side is out of whack.
RP1.jpg
20160307_165821.jpg

Last edited:
I was about to say... Take it to @David Kishpaugh. He's out in Sandy, but he's honest to god the smartest Jeep guy in all of Oregon. He does gears all the time.

How far are you from Dave's shop?
About 150 miles.
I have done gears sucessfully many times. I am just trying to verify what I think. And that is for some reason the pinion depth has changed. I had a very good shop set the diff up several years ago because I didn't have the time to do it while we were on a long trip dragging it behind the motorhome. I saw the gear pattern when it was set up and it didn't look like this!
I think pinion is too shallow for whatever reason - maybe that a pinion shim may have been lost.
This same diff had that same problem (eaten shim) at about 8k miles and the dealer replaced everything in the pumpkin under warranty.

About 150 miles.
I have done gears sucessfully many times. I am just trying to verify what I think. And that is for some reason the pinion depth has changed. I had a very good shop set the diff up several years ago because I didn't have the time to do it while we were on a long trip dragging it behind the motorhome. I saw the gear pattern when it was set up and it didn't look like this!
I think pinion is too shallow for whatever reason - maybe that a pinion shim may have been lost.
This same diff had that same problem (eaten shim) at about 8k miles and the dealer replaced everything in the pumpkin under warranty.
Maybe Dave can take a look at the pics. I think what is going to throw us off since we don't see it as much as he does is the two different wear patterns overlapping and not giving the true story.

Reactions: Stinger
Sent Dave a conversation request. Have not heard. However kids/grandkids are in Renton, WA and Northridge is in Silverdale just across the Sound. So...next Thursday they are going to replace the rear gears for the same price as it was seven years ago. This is what I mean by vendor/customer loyalty. Ill go a longs ways out of my way for someone who treats me right. Conversely.............

Is there slop in the pinion or will the carrier practically fall out with the caps removed?

The pattern you're showing isnt great but it is something an insaller in a hurry could have left instead of making a change.

Every single factory set up on the 03-06 rubicon rears ive had apart took another .o10-.o15 shim to put enough carrier preload to keep it in place. Ive seen guys put them right back together that way as well.

Dave thanks for the look. I appreciate it. :)
The pattern is not what was showing when the regarding was done 7 years ago. Now I have a very noticeable deceleration vibration. Which is what prompted me to pull the cover. Lots of fine metal on the magnet that was about twice as much as I saw the last time I pulled the cover last year.
Something that is not too visible in the picture is the substance of the wear. It is not the normal shiny wear pattern on either drive or coast side. Almost looks like it has been file with a medium basted file.
Exactly where is your shop. So d like I would like to get to know you:)
Thanks again for the reply!

Dave I just reloaded at your post and realised I didn't answer the mail. So:
1. I can detect no slop in the pinion for and aft. Or, any other way for that matter. The backlash feels okay by my calibrated hand :rolleyes:. Which is usually pretty good after feeling bearing clearances in helicopter preflights for several dozen years
2. I have not pulled the caps to test preload but, absolutely don't disagree with you. Just don't know the answer.

You may have problem in the carrier. Th rubi lsd/lockers tend to deposit alot of metal between oil changes. You could have some teeth missing off of a worm gear in there.

I'm in sandy oregon.

You may have problem in the carrier. Th rubi lsd/lockers tend to deposit alot of metal between oil changes. You could have some teeth missing off of a worm gear in there.

I'm in sandy oregon.
Please reply in conversation with shop location