What else do you drive?

I miss the days when BMWs were truly driver's cars. You are right, that era was sure a great one. You have my second favorite car on this thread, but it isn't really fair since there is a 930 turbo in the mix.
Had a '91 535i . . . . loaded / charcoal grey metallic. Classic sedan. Weighted 50% on each axle. Fun!

And . . . on another note: Many of us have had a variety of American muscle iron. Many of us were decades younger when we drove that iron . . . . now, that era is just a memory. The restored muscle cars of our youth are owned by those old paunchy, balding men of means who drove those cars in their youth. The cars have remained /restored to their wonderful 'new-ness' . . . . sadly, we have not.
It's a somewhat melancholy sight to see these old hot-rodders sitting in their lawn chairs behind the shrines of their bye-gone youth. I refer to this as 'The Yellow Mustang Syndrome' . . . old guy in a young man's car. Whispy hair fluttering in the wind, ketchup on the shirt from the drive-in where you were trying to chat up the young car-hop . . . . Ahhhh, life's good and cruel.
Therefore, for old fat guys like me, the only real answer to the 'perfect-ness' of that SS396, GTO, 'Cuda, etc. is the never ending creativity you'll get with a rat rod . . . . .
There's never a 'Do Not Touch, Look, or Breathe' sign on a ratter . . . . the owners will talk about what they've done, how they solved this or that engineering problem, let you sit or touch their iron . . . .
Hey! recognize yourself ? :cool: :giggle:

Had a '91 535i . . . . loaded / charcoal grey metallic. Classic sedan. Weighted 50% on each axle. Fun!

And . . . on another note: Many of us have had a variety of American muscle iron. Many of us were decades younger when we drove that iron . . . . now, that era is just a memory. The restored muscle cars of our youth are owned by those old paunchy, balding men of means who drove those cars in their youth. The cars have remained /restored to their wonderful 'new-ness' . . . . sadly, we have not.
It's a somewhat melancholy sight to see these old hot-rodders sitting in their lawn chairs behind the shrines of their bye-gone youth. I refer to this as 'The Yellow Mustang Syndrome' . . . old guy in a young man's car. Whispy hair fluttering in the wind, ketchup on the shirt from the drive-in where you were trying to chat up the young car-hop . . . . Ahhhh, life's good and cruel.
Therefore, for old fat guys like me, the only real answer to the 'perfect-ness' of that SS396, GTO, 'Cuda, etc. is the never ending creativity you'll get with a rat rod . . . . .
There's never a 'Do Not Touch, Look, or Breathe' sign on a ratter . . . . the owners will talk about what they've done, how they solved this or that engineering problem, let you sit or touch their iron . . . .
Rat rods just don't do it for me, the "preserved patina" is horrible. I want a great paint job!...The old English cars, Triumph, MG, Healey and Jag's are something I can get into as I age.

Reactions: Head Lice

I very much agree with this. As for the rat-rod aspect of it, there's something to be said for a car that can be washed with a Brillo pad! Here's a pic of a car I did back in '07, or so. It was a freebie, and I gave myself a $500 budget. Ended up doing it for around $350, and that included all new brakes and brand new tires. Cut coils got
it down where it needed to be. That "patina" was the result of spraying oven cleaner on the paint in 90 degree weather, and then wiping the paint off down to the gray primer and/or bare metal. Then I shot it in a satin clear. Absolutely had a blast with that car. Never worried about door dings, dirt, or whether or not anything was perfect, because it obviously wasn't. Miss that car...
Rat Rod '63 Classic.jpg

The rat rods I like are the ones where there's a lot of creativity in the build. Either some wild engineering (motorcycle engine, etc), bits of this car/bits of that car body work, or creative repurposing of this and that.

We doing trucks now?

Well I present to you my summer beater/ trash hauler. 1980 Toyota Pickup 20R carbureted, 5 speed rwd. Check out those Cherokee rims wrapped in 205/50s :ROFLMAO:😁

View attachment 140500

We doing trucks now? Yes we are! One of my dd's is a little truck too. I like your Cherokee 10 hole rims. I have them on my Comanche … sort of. For some reason Jeep made the 10 hole wheels with rivets and without.

17-12-14 2.JPG