What else to do while manifold is removed?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I will soon replace my exhaust manifold. For me, this is a big deal, and I suspect it will be tied with dropping the gas tank as "biggest job I've done".

So while I'm in there, what else should I check on? Mine is a 97 SE with about 95k miles.

I changed my valve cover gasket and checked bolt torque and wiring. My throttle body was actually pretty loose.

I suppose if you were planning on installing a heat shield on your injectors and fuel rail that might be the time.

I should have done my pan and rear main

-Mac

Reactions: SSTJ
Bump! Getting close to doing this job and thought I'd check for any other recommendations.

Edit. I thought you were working on the intake, I should pay more attention.

As stated above, throttle body and vacuum lines.

Reactions: SSTJ
Bump! Getting close to doing this job and thought I'd check for any other recommendations.
Replacing the exhaust manifold also requires the intake manifold be unbolted. Replacing the intake manifold can cause a big vacuum leak and sky-high engine rpms when you start the engine if you don't take your time on this part of the job. Make sure it is seated and positioned properly using the studs on the head to position it. If you rush this part of the job it's likely you'll have to redo the entire job again the seal the leak.

Reactions: SSTJ and nathanotis
Replacing the exhaust manifold also requires the intake manifold be unbolted. Replacing the intake manifold can cause a big vacuum leak and sky-high engine rpms when you start the engine if you don't take your time on this part of the job. Make sure it is seated and positioned properly using the studs on the head to position it. If you rush this part of the job it's likely you'll have to redo the entire job again the seal the leak.

Thanks Jerry. Any tips on brands for the gasket? I'm assuming Felpro is good.