What gear ratio should I install?

TM11

Got 33s on stock gear assembly. What gear assembly should I upgrade to make it ride like stock. My max speed is 70mph right now but that’s not bad but I won’t some stress relieved off my engine.

Got 33s on stock gear assembly. What gear assembly should I upgrade to make it ride like stock. My max speed is 70mph right now but that’s not bad but I won’t some stress relieved off my engine.
4.56 is ideal for 33's when you have the 4.0 engine and 5-speed transmission. Wisconsin is flat enough that you don't need anything steeper like 4.88. Don't let anyone talk you into 4.10! :)

4.56 is ideal for 33's when you have the 4.0 engine and 5-speed transmission. Don't let anyone talk you into 4.10! :)
Second what Jerry advises. Have the same setup (33's/4.0/5 sp) I went with 4.88 only in anticipation of moving to 35's next time I need rubber. 4.56 gearing would be perfect if you are sticking with current tire size.

Reactions: Wildman
Guys disregard this thread my speedometer was wrong 😁 I reach 86 which is plenty enough but I’ll prolly upgrade up to a 4.56 to relieve my engine in the future

Reactions: Wildman
Guys disregard this thread my speedometer was wrong 😁 I reach 86 which is plenty enough but I’ll prolly upgrade up to a 4.56 to relieve my engine in the future
Sounds like it’s time to get a new speedo gear or a speedohealer

Second what Jerry advises. Have the same setup (33's/4.0/5 sp) I went with 4.88 only in anticipation of moving to 35's next time I need rubber. 4.56 gearing would be perfect if you are sticking with current tire size.
You say that now, but might eat those words after installing 35's and realize the then lost performance. I recommend 4.88 for 33's long term, 5.13 if planning 35's.

Reactions: jjvw
I think a set of 3.07:1 gears would be perfect for your application. I just so happen to have a set I’d be willing to part with…

• Haha
Reactions: smurf
4.56 is ideal for 33's when you have the 4.0 engine and 5-speed transmission. Wisconsin is flat enough that you don't need anything steeper like 4.88. Don't let anyone talk you into 4.10! :)
I have the same config but have a 6 SPEED NSG370 close ration with a .84 overdrive in 6th gear, does your 4:56 recommendation still apply to my 6 speed TJ? Not really interested in wheeling as mush as a driving to work or the beach. I was thinking the 6 speed might help get away with a 4.10.

I have the same config but have a 6 SPEED NSG370 close ration with a .84 overdrive in 6th gear, does your 4:56 recommendation still apply to my 6 speed TJ? Not really interested in wheeling as mush as a driving to work or the beach. I was thinking the 6 speed might help get away with a 4.10.
My last Jeep was an LJ on 35’s with the 6 speed and 4.88’s, in my opinion, it was perfect. The 6 speeds relatively short overdrive ratio make gear selection a bit different then either of the 5 speeds.
For 33’s I’d probably stick with 4.56’s.

Here goes 4.10 vs 4.56, 2006 TJ 4.0L w/NSG3270 6spd, and 32.5 used for (33") tire size:
Maybe someone here has the same setup and can comment on what they used?

410v456.png

Last edited: