What happens if a OHV runs into your Jeep on a trail?

GoldenEagle

A cross thread is a tight thread
Supporting Member
This is entirely hypothetical, but I think it's a question worth asking as trails start opening up for the season.

The past few years, I have seen a lot more side by sides out wheeling. Generally, they're pretty decent folks with decent trail etiquette, but I'm seeing a lot more idiots out taking blind curves full throttle.

Suppose you're out heading to an area for some technical wheeling on a fairly well groomed but narrow trail and some jack wagon comes ripping around the corner opposite way and creams the front of your TJ. As far as I know, OHV doesn't require insurance in at least Colorado. So, what do you do?

Personally, I always honk a couple times through a blind turn so hopefully it works one day.
I'd like to think it'd help, but Razors aren't exactly quiet. Add a helmet on the other driver and it's adding up to a disastrous recipe. I'm horrified at the idea someone might total my rig and it'd turn into a fight with my own insurance company.

You would have to Sue the other driver and or uses your Full Coverage insurance.
Unfortunately insurance don't cover OHV accidents. Unless you pay for special insurance.

A couple years ago I was in Moab with a friend who owns a jk and we were doing poison spider. A couple of rzrs traveling the same direction passed me and then my friend’s jk except he happened to be in a tighter spot. We watched in disbelief as two of the rzrs clipped his front tire and fender. One looked back for a second, shrugged, and then they took off. I am sure there are plenty of decent sxs owners out there but honestly I have started to grow tired of them over the years. If one of them hits you and doesn’t speed off immediately after, hopefully they are a decent person and offer to pay for the damage.

A couple years ago I was in Moab with a friend who owns a jk and we were doing poison spider. A couple of rzrs traveling the same direction passed me and then my friend’s jk except he happened to be in a tighter spot. We watched in disbelief as two of the rzrs clipped his front tire and fender. One looked back for a second, shrugged, and then they took off. I am sure there are plenty of decent sxs owners out there but honestly I have started to grow tired of them over the years. If one of them hits you and doesn’t speed off immediately after, hopefully they are a decent person and offer to pay for the damage.
Isn't there only one way in and out of poison spider? Drove past the trail head for it, never done it though. But yeah, that's the attitude I'm seeing more and more of. It's really irritating and at some point, it's going to come to a head where either we or they have less places to ride. I don't get the OHV sticker because I stay out of OHV areas knowing it's a mess on the weekends. But some areas are dual use, so I think accidents are bound to happen. I just hope it's not to me.

Seems to be a lot more common. Time for a front and rear dash cam.
They can speed off but you'll have evidence that'll hold up in court if you can find em.

My insurance doesn't cover that. Hopefully it would be this guy and he'd just glide over top of my Jeep.
RZR2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: WSS and matkal
He loses is what happens. A 3500+ steel frame TJ will hardly feel it.

Most parks I know of here in Pennsylvania and the surrounding area that run them as a business require insurance to ride a quad, 4 wheeler or sxs in their parks. 🤞🏻

I cross my fingers every time I take a corner. And half of these corners are so badly rutted out that you really have no choice but to take the oncoming traffic side of the path. I drive with my headlights on but that’s just me.

im like a turtle on trails & these ohv side by sides are like the rabbit... but usually more like a swarm of pissed off yellowjackets, as they tend to come out of nowhere in large groups.

I scratched my head today when I first read this thread in its infancy because OHV means "Over Head Valve" to me and possibly the rest of the world lol
Me too... But some quick deductive reasoning ferreted out the meaning for me. Off Highway vehicle. Must be a regional thing. Here in Michigan, we call them ORV's (off road vehicles)

Reactions: pc1p
Isn't there only one way in and out of poison spider? Drove past the trail head for it, never done it though. But yeah, that's the attitude I'm seeing more and more of. It's really irritating and at some point, it's going to come to a head where either we or they have less places to ride. I don't get the OHV sticker because I stay out of OHV areas knowing it's a mess on the weekends. But some areas are dual use, so I think accidents are bound to happen. I just hope it's not to me.
You can continue through Golden spike and gold bar rim if you don’t come back out on poison spider.

This is entirely hypothetical, but I think it's a question worth asking as trails start opening up for the season.

The past few years, I have seen a lot more side by sides out wheeling. Generally, they're pretty decent folks with decent trail etiquette, but I'm seeing a lot more idiots out taking blind curves full throttle.

Suppose you're out heading to an area for some technical wheeling on a fairly well groomed but narrow trail and some jack wagon comes ripping around the corner opposite way and creams the front of your TJ. As far as I know, OHV doesn't require insurance in at least Colorado. So, what do you do?
It would be interesting to relay this to a reputable insurance policy rep. They could likely tell you the possible outcomes and paths to take.

I cross my fingers every time I take a corner. And half of these corners are so badly rutted out that you really have no choice but to take the oncoming traffic side of the path. I drive with my headlights on but that’s just me.

im like a turtle on trails & these ohv side by sides are like the rabbit... but usually more like a swarm of pissed off yellowjackets, as they tend to come out of nowhere in large groups.
I'm like a turtle in my side by side 😂 .... I've even had Jeepers compliment me on my trail etiquette. I'm really out there to enjoy nature, not see how fast I can go. I enjoy both my Jeeps and my RZR and do my best to be respectful of the environment and others using the trails. All of my vehicles have full coverage. I have seen the groups of SxS buzzing around too fast and being rude on the trails and I'm not one of them. As far as hitting a Jeep in one, that would hurt! 😫