What head-scratcher did the previous owner of your TJ do?

I just don't get how something as simple as a radio harness gets so hacked up. Is there really that many people that can't put a red wire to a red wire? Are they all colorblind? If they would do it right they would only have to do it once.

Had two different length fixed rear lower control arms. I knew that it had issues when I bought it (got it for CHEEEEEP!) but my son following behind me said, "dude you are driving like, sideways!". LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Tob
Installed a crappy, cheap, semi worthless lift kit. But I knew what I was getting and the price was more than resonable.

I just don't get how something as simple as a radio harness gets so hacked up. Is there really that many people that can't put a red wire to a red wire? Are they all colorblind? If they would do it right they would only have to do it once.
I'm guilty of doing this once back when I was like 17 and dumb. My sister and I shared an Olds Cutlass Calais (not the cool full-sized Cutlass with a V8) that we got for cheap from some relatives. The stereo sucked, so I swapped in the Ford radio that my dad had removed from his Probe. I did a great job of soldering all the wires to the back of the radio. It stuck out from the dash about 1/2", so I covered the exposed metal with some black electrical tape. It was some top notch work.

Last edited:
One of the 5 or 6 POs installed (or paid to have installed) different front & rear bumpers.

The rear bumper has a hitch, so the installer wired up the hitch pigtail. But instead of using some nice wiring harness to tap into the existing lights, they snipped / spliced / etc the existing harness and made it a nightmare to install my LED tail light assemblies.

When installing the front bumper, they snipped the original fog light connectors and just taped up the loose wires underneath.

When installing the front bumper, they snipped the original fog light connectors and just taped up the loose wires underneath.

Might be the turn signal stalk was having a problem, the fog light's can get stuck on pretty easily when the internals get melty. It was easier for me to pull the fog light relay and just not use the switch after I replaced it once. I cut the wires and tucked them up :D

Previous owner used it as a "learn to drive" tool. Apparently, he wasn't very good at it!

hAXnjhd.jpg

H7W8k0J.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: HYRYSC and j8ksdad
Upper bushings on the sway bar disconnects were literally non-existent. I asked and he said there were never any in there. They just rattled around.

Last edited:
My jeeps PO wasn't the best with wires.

The stereo harness was so chopped up that it was easier to just run rca cables to an amp and then speaker wires from there.

I pulled out the wiring for the trail lights they installed. They ran unfused hot wires from the battery through the firewall yo switches. That's bad. But the hole was in sheet metal with no gromet or sheathing. It was slowly eating away are the rubber around the wire.

My PO did some cosmetic repair of a rust spot on the fender with a tub of bondo... painted over it with duplicolor and said nothing... I found it 6 months later when it started to rot through again ... cut it out... patched with a steel piece, por15 the entire fender and repainted... less a doofus and more a purposeful move ... ugh
C1A62FCC-B7FD-456A-8B9F-561BB5E2658D.jpeg

My wife is the previous/original owner... when I went through all the service records, nearly every year she paid for a 4 wheel alignment. Shortly after we were married, she said it was due again, so I got the tape measure out and checked it... it was good. I had to explain to her that there was no way to perform a 4 wheel alignment on a Jeep...

Reactions: Tob
From what I can tell, someone took a gnarly jump. One of the front fenders was rolled from contacting the wheel and there was a large mound in the rear of the rub where the axle trackbar bracket had bent the metal upwards a good few inches.

PO has installed a trailer brake box and hacked the wiring all to hell. Funny part...my Jeep is a 2.5/auto. It barely pulls its own weight let alone a trailer big enough to need brakes! Ugh.

PO blunders
Rubicon sticker for the fake out
rewired door diffusers to pull plug instead of #4 fuse for lights
sprayed front and rear bumpers while still mounted (back sides smooth as butter)
used any screw/bolt that was handy
installed an awful android flip out stereo, blocking vents, didn’t even really fit
Did a Rough country lift lol-fixing soon