What in the world?? (Electrical question)

NicKnack

TJ Enthusiast
found this in my Jeep this evening... looks like it may be a locator device that dealerships use???? Not sure, any ideas?

IMG_1215.JPG

Also wondering the purpose of those two labeled wires on the right... looks like they dive back into the harness behind them.

Those two wires are 'extras' for use as you want to use them... either or both. Their labels are self explanatory.

Yup its a GPS tracker. I zoomed in on your pic, saw this number, and looked it up on this imei checker website.
8ad3ce0a7bc9b49868962f5092f7b39b.jpg

Reactions: NicKnack
Score!?
You can just leave it and hopefully not have to use it?
Definitely don't show it to the wife!

I've never been a fan of the gps tracker technology but I'd be a convert pretty quick if my TJ was stolen... Although I think the pros know how to find and disable them pretty quick today.

20 years ago a buddy spent $16K putting trackers on 10 of his service trucks. Within a year he gets a page.... One of his trucks is moving.... Drives by the yard, yep the gate is open and 1 truck is gone.... Goes direct to the RCMP at midnight? Shows them his laptop says that's my truck and it is stolen. The RCMP spend the night tracking it... To a guy they know sells stolen tools... To a place which strips the welding equipment, a new guy previously unknown to the RCMP.... to a chop shop known to strip the truck of all the untraceable components, and finally to an auto wrecker.... Again a known to the police but as yet uncharged for lack of hard evidence.

They busted everybody before 8am.

These guys are so well organized that 8 hours later it was a cab and chassis. Even the service box was stripped.

20 years ago a buddy spent $16K putting trackers on 10 of his service trucks. Within a year he gets a page.... One of his trucks is moving.... Drives by the yard, yep the gate is open and 1 truck is gone.... Goes direct to the RCMP at midnight? Shows them his laptop says that's my truck and it is stolen. The RCMP spend the night tracking it... To a guy they know sells stolen tools... To a place which strips the welding equipment, a new guy previously unknown to the RCMP.... to a chop shop known to strip the truck of all the untraceable components, and finally to an auto wrecker.... Again a known to the police but as yet uncharged for lack of hard evidence.

They busted everybody before 8am.
There's definitely reasons to keep it, but since I'm not the owner of the device I'd rather not find out who is. I've got the vehicle title in my possession though so no worries on my end in that regard.

Today, I'd bet the first thing the pros do is find the tracker. If a couple of teenagers take it for a joy ride because you left the key in the ignition you'll likely find it tomorrow. But if the thief is in it for the money..... Only a locked garage with an excellant alarm system... Colt comes to mind.... Will stop him.

Today, I'd bet the first thing the pros do is find the tracker. If a couple of teenagers take it for a joy ride because you left the key in the ignition you'll likely find it tomorrow. But if the thief is in it for the money..... Only a locked garage with an excellant alarm system... Colt comes to mind.... Will stop him.
I'm planning to install a kill switch system this week and also have a 9mm or 12ga system if required during extreme situations. :stick::starwars-smiley:

Yeah, a kill switch. Or on the old carduerated motors a fuel shot off. Best bet. Even a pro only spends a few seconds trying to start it...... But none of that helps if he can hook or deck it.