What is going on with my radiator overflow bottle?

Bigmac

Rather be in 29 palms.
Supporting Member
what the hell is going on here exactly?

Near as I can tell there's no rough spots where it used to be attached on the inside of the neck. Now whatever it is is just rattling around inside. I can hear it when I come to a full stop bumping around in the fluid.

IMG_20201226_201021954.jpg

on closer inspection it looks like it belongs in the filler neck, not sure how it came loose. looks like i may have to pull the tank and drain it to get it out..

Near as I can tell there's no rough spots where it used to be attached on the inside of the neck. Now whatever it is is just rattling around inside. I can hear it when I come to a full stop bumping around in the fluid.

View attachment 213537
I had that same thing in the reservoir. I fished it out with a piece of wire that had hook at the end.
Did not find any logical use for it.

Reactions: Bigmac

View attachment 213537
Is that part of the tube that draws fluid back into the radiator as it cools down? If so, it may not allow your radiator to fill back up properly as everything cools down.

Off the top of my head, I don’t remember what the inside of mine looked like but I know there was some sort of tube in there for drawing coolant back into the radiator.

My tank was pretty cruddy and discolored so I just replaced it when I refreshed my cooling system a little over a year ago.

Here is a pic of mine that i took out a while ago. That hole is only thing in it and it`s slightly wider at the upper part where the hole is.
If i would like to put it back into the reservoir i would really have to push it in there. It`s that much wider than the hole.
IMG_20201227_180536(1).jpg

Reactions: Bigmac
Here is a pic of mine that i took out a while ago. That hole is only thing in it and it`s slightly wider at the upper part where the hole is.
If i would like to put it back into the reservoir i would really have to push it in there. It`s that much wider than the hole.View attachment 213579
That’s odd. I don’t think my original, or the replacement had anything that big in there. Just a small tube molded with the tank. About the size of the hose between the tank and radiator.

Maybe something unique to certain years? Mine is an ‘06.

That tube allows the radiator's vacuum, formed as the coolant cools, to draw coolant up & out of its reservoir. It has to be there.

I drained the reservoir and now i see where its from. Its broken off so i think i`ll be ordering new tank.

Probably OP should do the same thing.

Big thanks to Jerry for solving this :)