What is my 2004 TJ Rubicon with 24k miles worth?

2004TJR

Supporting Member
I'm considering selling my 2004 Rubicon since its basically parked 90% of the time as of late. As much as I'd love to keep it I haven't had nearly the time I wanted to wheel and its taking up valuable space. I have no idea what I should reasonably even ask if I do decide to list it. My wife has already said not to sell since she doesn't want to hear me gripe about not being able to find a replacement in similar condition in the future. With the market as high as it is I've got to be realistic and at least see if it's worth selling. I would love to hold onto it and get more use in a few years but I also have to balance that with growing my business and providing for my family.

It's been a dedicated trail-rig since new and has quite a few bruises to the body. It just rolled 24001 miles. It's been a Texas Jeep its whole life and has zero rust to the frame. Runs like a champ and cruises comfortably at 80 on the highway. Definitely got some rough spots to the body and fading to the interior.

4.0l inline 6 w/ 42rle trans
4" suspension + 1" bl
Poison spyder front stinger + rock sliders
Warn x8000i winch
4.88 gears w/lockrite locker up front and OE Rubicon air locker in rear
Currie anti-rock
Factory hardop w/ ceramic tint all around
Bestop sailcloth soft top <1 yr old
Warn rear bumper w/ tire carrier
Rock Hard Sport Cage
Adams front driveshaft
Interior has noico butyl sound deadening plus 315mil foam on top. It is unbelievably quiet and well insulated.
Dropped back down from 35" STT Pro's to 33" BFG KO2's a few months ago.........(will go back to 35's and regear to 5.38 if I do keep it)
Typical routine maintenance, fluids changed regularly, ball joints replaced, tie-rods, etc.

What is it reasonably worth in today's climate?

View attachment 281086

View attachment 281087View attachment 281089
View attachment 281091View attachment 281092View attachment 281093

View attachment 281087

View attachment 281091

View attachment 281092

Last edited:
List it for what you think it's worth, to make you feel comfortable with selling it and see what happens. I personally wouldn't touch a low mileage trail rig. Those are usually some hard miles. I sold a lifted 05' with 15,000 miles on it for $22,000. It was in mint condition, garage kept and had never been abused though.

Reactions: WSS
@Chris had an extremely well built TJ on the market recently, you might PM him to see what bites he really got and at what price. Obviously the rigs are different. He probably has good info. You might just get a "just smile and nod when that guy posts anything" or you might get some good info, it can't hurt to try. He's bought and sold a few. I only say PM because it's money and not everybody wants to post about that.

Reactions: WSS
@Chris had an extremely well built TJ on the market recently, you might PM him to see what bites he really got and at what price. Obviously the rigs are different. He probably has good info. You might just get a "just smile and nod when that guy posts anything" or you might get some good info, it can't hurt to try. He's bought and sold a few. I only say PM because it's money and not everybody wants to post about that.
I was asking 35k and I was very close to getting exactly that before I decided not to sell. Given Blaine did most of the work and all the quality parts used, I am not surprised some might be willing to pay that much.

I’d fix the dent, return to stock and sell the parts off. Problem is if someone looks hard enough they will find your post and pictures here unless you slip the moderator $5

• Haha
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
List it for what you think it's worth, to make you feel comfortable with selling it and see what happens. I personally wouldn't touch a low mileage trail rig. Those are usually some hard miles. I sold a lifted 05' with 15,000 miles on it for $22,000. It was in mint condition, garage kept and had never been abused though.
Ya, I’ve done more damage in 800 miles than the previous owner did in 102k with mine, but that was the intention. I wanted a rig that only looked like it was Offroad ready.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
OP, list at 24k. Drop to $20k if your good with that. Makes people feel good to screw you for 4K. It’s a win/win if they are not aware your bottom dollar. Just ideas. It’s free advice. Lol.

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Thanks for the feedback, all good points. I have no intention to misrepresent how its been used if I do list it. I'd rather be forthcoming about all of it even if it costs me a few $$$. I've never been afraid to use it and get it scratched/dinged and it's handled everything I've asked of it. That's what has made it so enjoyable for me. I'd hope a potential buyer would have similar views. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards keeping it, even for occasional use. Gonna sleep on it for a few nights.

Since you do not need to sell it I would list it at a ridiculously high price and see what happens. You can always lower your price. You only need to find one guy who will love it and pay the price. Looks like a good build and new owner will not need to stick any more money into it.
Will corner guards cover those dents?

Reactions: EZ_Wrangler
Yes. Corner guards will cover dents

IMG_3643_zpsm1yolkli.jpg

IMG_3679_zpsilz24iik.jpg

Reactions: Bud125 and Irun
In this case I don't think the low miles matter much since clearly it's been abused.

The guy who is looking for a low mileage rig that is willing to pay a premium wants a stock, unmolested TJ Rubicon, not one that was beat up with possibly the ugliest front fender / bumper I've ever seen (sorry, not trying to be rude, just had to call it as I saw it).

I'm going to say 18-20k tops.

No offense taken….I don’t disagree entirely….came from previous owner. Although I don’t think it’s the absolute ugliest in the world 😁
In this case I don't think the low miles matter much since clearly it's been abused.

The guy who is looking for a low mileage rig that is willing to pay a premium wants a stock, unmolested TJ Rubicon, not one that was beat up with possibly the ugliest front fender / bumper I've ever seen (sorry, not trying to be rude, just had to call it as I saw i
I'm going to say 18-20k to

No offense taken….I don’t disagree entirely….came from previous owner. Although I don’t think it’s the absolute ugliest in the world 😁
No, not the ugliest for sure. If you cut off the stinger/bale, all the ugly goes away. Then it is just a simple stubby bumper. It may be worth the effort $$ wise.

This is a tough one. Guys looking for low milage want cream puffs. Guys looking for trail rigs don't really care about mileage. You're in between a rock and a hard place...
Very well articulated.

On average, it won’t bring the highest prices, nor should it be given away-

There is something to be said for having one that you aren’t afraid to have fun in.

Above anything, I’d be hesitant to sell because they are getting hard to find- at least be really sure.

This is one case I might consider having one repainted - if done extremely well it would fetch enough you would come out ahead, and make it more sellable. It would need painted, allowed to gas off, buffed slick and appear factory.

Reactions: Irun
I will trade you even for my 02!!! Fresh paint, no rust, 1/2 doors and full doors. You know just throwing it out there. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: