What is my current backspacing

TJ Starting

The Seven Slots of the World
Supporting Member
Planning on ordering some new wheels soon so just considering options right now. Going to go with alloys to replace the steelies as well as getting five so I can have a spare.

I do like the current setup as far as were the tire is at but I dont have flairs in yet, Those will be being installed once I'm finished with repainting it. So I'm just trying to figure out the specs on the current wheels. Measuring for backspacing using Google's method, it seems to be at about 4.75". Is that correct? I've seen lots of mention of 3.75" being perfect for a TJ.
20210530_214443.jpg

Tough to tell from the photo, but it looks like you're measuring the wrong side of the wheel to me. (Assuming those are some sort of spline drive lug nut on either side of the tape measure.)

The backspacing measurement is taken from the inside of the wheel. The yellow tape measure is measuring the backspacing which is the distance between the wheel's inner-most rim edge and its mounting surface.

Wheelbackspacing.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Ok that makes sense. This is the first time I've really delved into wheel configurations so good to know. I'll have to check again tomorrow.