What is the best method to fix a seized motor?

ptuttle78

What is the best method to fix a seized motor? I had drained the oil out to rebuild the motor but let it sit too long. Was trying to replace timing chain and couldn’t turn it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused as to what is going on. If the engine is locked up it is time for a complete rebuild, but it sounds like you were already planning on doing that anyways. What do you mean you let it sit too long?

You can start by removing the plugs and adding some ATF in each of the cylinders, then let it sit for a few days. Was there any rain water involved ?
This is good advice...I've known of quite a few rust seized engines done this way

Some guys crank them with no plugs after they let the penetrating oil or atf sit before they attempt to crank them.

You can start by removing the plugs and adding some ATF in each of the cylinders, then let it sit for a few days. Was there any rain water involved ?

I had the head off. Doing a valve job on it. It had been sitting a while. Got a little rusty from sitting.

fill out yer profile, next question, do you live in Atlantis? cuz I've never heard of an engine freezing up unless it has been stored outside for 10 years or more. But yes as everyone says, any oil thru the spark plug into every bore, every day for a week, until you can turn it over with a snipe.

Ultimately a rebuild is a short term fix. Best to exchange it for a remanufactured engine with a 7 year warranty. I've done 3 with these guys. Like new performance.

https://www.sandjengines.com/search...rch/rebuilt-auto-engines/2000-Jeep-Wrangler--

$1388.00 for a sealed long block with a 7 year warranty.

Reactions: ptuttle78 and JMT
fill out yer profile, next question, do you live in Atlantis? cuz I've never heard of an engine freezing up unless it has been stored outside for 10 years or more. But yes as everyone says, any oil thru the spark plug into every bore, every day for a week, until you can turn it over with a snipe.

Ultimately a rebuild is a short term fix. Best to exchange it for a remanufactured engine with a 7 year warranty. I've done 3 with these guys. Like new performance.

https://www.sandjengines.com/search...rch/rebuilt-auto-engines/2000-Jeep-Wrangler--

$1388.00 for a sealed long block with a 7 year warranty.

Thanks. I live in south Texas. It’s been sitting through a cold wet winter.

Had a ford straight 6 in a truck that sat for 2 years do this, did atf for a few days then started wiggling the crank w a bar and socket, a little wiggling each day for about 3-4 days, then finally forced it around 1/4 turn added some more atf, next day another 1/4 turn, following day turned it several full rotations then finally fired it up, fresh oil and plugs and my guys and I used the hell out of that thing for years, only ford I ever had that treated me well ironically.

Just did same thing w an old generator sitting in a shed for 5 plus years, but actually after 2 weeks it still wouldn't turn by hand or bar so had to free her up w my big impact (had nothing to lose) fresh gas, plug and carb cleaning (luckily I only put no E fuel in my small engines) and she seems good to go.

Guess my point is lube up, be patient, wiggle a little and she will probably warm up for ya LOL...

Had a ford straight 6 in a truck that sat for 2 years do this, did atf for a few days then started wiggling the crank w a bar and socket, a little wiggling each day for about 3-4 days, then finally forced it around 1/4 turn added some more atf, next day another 1/4 turn, following day turned it several full rotations then finally fired it up, fresh oil and plugs and my guys and I used the hell out of that thing for years, only ford I ever had that treated me well ironically.

Just did same thing w an old generator sitting in a shed for 5 plus years, but actually after 2 weeks it still wouldn't turn by hand or bar so had to free her up w my big impact (had nothing to lose) fresh gas, plug and carb cleaning (luckily I only put no E fuel in my small engines) and she seems good to go.

Guess my point is lube up, be patient, wiggle a little and she will probably warm up for ya LOL...

Thanks [emoji1317]