What is the best replacement for my Dana 35?

I guess what I am asking is I am looking for a good setup for some light Trail work and just your everyday off the road for Wheeling. I am going to do the revolution super 35 kit with the Detroit Locker And regear to 4.88 and stick with my 33 inch tires. Would this be a good at set up for my intended use
Absolutely. If I had your 2.5, Dana 35, and was running 33's that's exactly what I would do too.

The only caution I'll throw out there is if you have to drive on icy streets or icy trails during the winter the automatic Detroit Locker would be a dicey choice. Your Profile doesn't indicate where you live so it's impossible to know if it gets cold enough for that potential problem. If you have to drive on ice much the selectable ARB air locker or Eaton E-Locker would be a better albeit more expensive choice.

But that's not to say that a careful Jeep owner can't learn to drive on icy streets with a Detroit Locker, it can be done but you just have to be more careful. Detroit Lockers are easily learned as to how they like to be driven to make them behave well. Staying off the gas and using neutral throttle through turns is pretty much all you have to do. Some people just don't like driving carefully so for them, when on ice, a Detroit Locker wouldn't be a good choice. But for a careful attentive driver it wouldn't be that big of an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and StG58
Well I live in Pa so ice and snow are always present in the winter. I will look at the Eton locker then.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Are the auburn gear etched lockers any good
You mean ECTED and nope, that's just a clutch-based limited slip differential that is set up to be stiffer in approximation to a locker. When its clutch pack needs to be replaced, and it will wear out and need replacement, you need to send the entire locker into the factory to be rebuilt. It can't be rebuilt anywhere but at the factory. Not to mention that since they're not a true locker, they can and do slip in tough situations... not a good thing.

Last edited:
I guess what I am asking is I am looking for a good setup for some light Trail work and just your everyday off the road for Wheeling. I am going to do the revolution super 35 kit with the Detroit Locker And regear to 4.88 and stick with my 33 inch tires. Would this be a good at set up for my intended use

I'd pay attention to @Jerry Bransford, it was based in good measure on his advice that I put pretty much the same setup in my TJ & I do more than light trails with it without issue, so you'll be more than fine.

What part of PA are you in? If you're in the southeast & want to test drive that new setup in the mountains give me a shout

Im in central pa. I live just outside the town of Dubois. I am about 20 minutes from the famous ground hog punxy Phil. I do habe friends and family from Philly area

I figured i would ask I haven't seen them mentioned any where that I have asked or read about the super 35.

Im in central pa. I live just outside the town of Dubois. I am about 20 minutes from the famous ground hog punxy Phil.

Westtown
Are you running the arb or eaton locker

very familiar with that area, IUP grad back when it had branch campuses in Punxsutawney & Kittanning, I spent freshman year in Kittanning in 84 then met the whole Punxy crew up at main. I've been back many times since for reunions & my youngest is a senior there, love that place. I know Kitty-U is long gone, is Punxy still operating?

I have the ARBs & they perform very well, I've heard good things about the E-lockers too, I don't think you can go wrong either way but I would definitely lean towards the selectable over the automatic given the snow/ice situation out your way, my 4 years in that area were covered in permafrost from around now until spring :copas: