What is the best way to repaint my hood?

dom.robles

attached are some pictures of my hood and cowl, i believe this is referred to as orange peel correct me if im wrong. I'm just wondering what is the best way to paint this and make it new again. the po told me that all i need to do is wet-sand the clear coat and spray on a new one but what are the correct steps to do that if thats even right. otherwise how would you guys go about painting your jeeps? what kinds of paints clear coats and advice can you offer me. thanks in advance!
hood 1.jpeg
hood 2.jpeg

What you have is the deterioration of the clear coat and being able to cut it back is something that a pro can determine. It all depends on the condition and thickness of the base coat.

Nope! It looks to me like your clear coat just gave up. I’m not sure what the fix would be because I’m not a paint & body guy but, I’m pretty sure that it’s going to take a little more than wet sanding & respraying.
Orange peel is a defect in a paint job that is caused by improper and/or inadequate blocking & sanding prep before the primer & paint is sprayed or possibly between coats of paint (like I said, I’m not a paint & body guy). The paint job might be one of those that looks really good from 20 feet away or so, but upon closer examination it looks the texture of an orange peel, hence the name.
I’m sure that someone here can jump in & tell you what to do for your clear coat.
Good luck.

finally got around to painting the hood and cowl. idk if anyone cares but here you go. i did a 400 grit wet sand all around both parts it got down to the sheet metal in some areas and primer in others. some just removed the cleae coat or at least scuffed what was left. i followed up with an 800 grit sand all around and then cleaned everything with soap and water. i used one layer of primer (i wished i did more wouldve helped mask some imperfections) followed by 2 coats of black and then 3 coats of clear coat. all paints were rattle can rustoleum i picked up from lowes did the whole job for around $45. makes me want to do the whole jeep but i know ts just gonna get scratched to hell which i dont worry about with the paint right now. anyways there you go.

hood 3.jpeg

hood 1.jpeg

hood 2.jpeg

Looks nice to me from a computer screen. I want to do this, but I have zero skill with spray painting, not matter how much prep I do. Since my Jeep sits in the garage most of the time (500 miles a year), I'll just wait and have it painted professionally. Nice job!

Reactions: dom.robles
finally got around to painting the hood and cowl. idk if anyone cares but here you go. i did a 400 grit wet sand all around both parts it got down to the sheet metal in some areas and primer in others. some just removed the cleae coat or at least scuffed what was left. i followed up with an 800 grit sand all around and then cleaned everything with soap and water. i used one layer of primer (i wished i did more wouldve helped mask some imperfections) followed by 2 coats of black and then 3 coats of clear coat. all paints were rattle can rustoleum i picked up from lowes did the whole job for around $45. makes me want to do the whole jeep but i know ts just gonna get scratched to hell which i dont worry about with the paint right now. anyways there you go.

View attachment 222951

View attachment 222949

View attachment 222950

Nicely done, it looks as good as new!

That looks nice! My hood has some dings in it that I'd like to fix, maybe repaint the whole Jeep at some point too. Mine is Khaki now, but I really like these desert tan, flat finish, like the military Humvee's.

125e574fad8d67034a72652f8c42439a.gif

How did that clear coat sprayer treat you? The rustoleum cans (in color, not clear) I've used with that built in trigger style button tend to drip and splatter much more than the standard button-on-top style.

How did that clear coat sprayer treat you? The rustoleum cans (in color, not clear) I've used with that built in trigger style button tend to drip and splatter much more than the standard button-on-top style.
yeah i ran into that problem at the beginning. i found that for some reason longer strokes helped stop the drip. that also made the coat come out better, by starting the spray off of the painting surface and keeping it going until i got to the other side. it also helps to hold the can as upright as possible which wasnt easy as i had the hood on the table. otherwise i took a rag and held it in my hand next to the trigger and that caught any drips coming down the bottle.

@dom.robles, my Wrangler looks exactly like yours did. I sanded and painted the cowl with spray can paint, but to my eye the black does not match exactly (it actually looks better in sunlight vs in the garage). I am worried the color difference will be even more pronounced if I do the whole hood (plus it's a whole lot of work!) Just wanted to ask what your thoughts are on how well the color matches the rest of the vehicle? If you had to do it again would you buy custom-matched paint?