What is the correct part number for a SKIM key?

eblank8

Can anyone find me the right part number for the chipped key of a 05 Jeep Wrangler?

SKIM module (56010209AD)
The keys that the online Mopar parts store referenced was 5018699AB (said it replaced 5018699AA)
However, the 5018699AB grey key would not program. Tried a couple of keys but none worked.

I ended up getting a generic Y160-PT key cut, and that programmed with no issue, so I know my SKIM immobilizer works properly. I tried to get the 5018699AB grey keys programmed again, but they still fail.

I prefer to use a genuine MOPAR key since there is a noticeable difference in quality.

The dealer was unable to find the right part number based on my VIN. They kept trying to sell me 5018700AA which looked like a black non-chipped key on the computer. So I passed.

Can anyone confirm what the right MOPAR key would be?

Updated for traceability:

1. MOPAR Key (5018699AA)
DRB3 Program: Passed
confirmed by LJRubiconGuy (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit | Jeep ...wranglertjforum.com › ... › TJ How-to Guides)
Self Program using two Master Keys: Assumption is that should work, needs confirmation

2. MOPAR Key (5018699AB)
DRB3 Program: Failed
confirmed by eblank8
Self Program using two Master Keys: Failed
confirmed by eblank8
(local locksmith scanner reported that this key had a different chip than Y160-PT Key)

3. Unbranded Key (Y160-PT)
DRB3 Program: Passed
confirmed by eblank8
Self Program using two Master Keys: Passed
confirmed by eblank8

*I'm not currently interested in collecting information about key cloning at the moment, only proper programming

Last edited:
I bought mine off Amazon for about $10 each and they programmed fine and have been working for 3 years now.

I took the keys to a local locksmith and they read the chips. The 5018699AB had a different chip, and I was told it is a valet key. The Y160-PT had a master key chip.

Doesn’t make a lot of sense, but having a different chip explains why it can’t be programmed.

A better locksmith? The local locksmith provided me with a proper generic master key that works great.

The part number you provided, 5018699AA, was supposably superseded by 5018699AB. (unverified)
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.51.22 AM.png

So either:
a) the info that I got is incorrect and 5018699AB does NOT supersede 5018699AA...
or
b) Chrysler screwed up in packaging the keys that I ordered.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
A better locksmith? The local locksmith provided me with a proper generic master key that works great.

The part number you provided, 5018699AA, was supposably superseded by 5018699AB. (unverified)
View attachment 163977

So either:
a) the info that I got is incorrect and 5018699AB does NOT supersede 5018699AA...
or
b) Chrysler screwed up in packaging the keys that I ordered.
Substitute locksmith for dealer. Our local dealer is a waste of time. I bought my genuine Mopar keys online and had our mobile locksmith come to my house and program them in 20 minutes, 15 of that was waiting on hold to get some kind of authorization code from Chrysler.

Substitute locksmith for dealer. Our local dealer is a waste of time. I bought my genuine Mopar keys online and had our mobile locksmith come to my house and program them in 20 minutes, 15 of that was waiting on hold to get some kind of authorization code from Chrysler.

It can't be the programming procedure.
The generic Keys programmed perfectly using the same procedure with a DRB3. It's nearly impossible to screw up. The MOPAR Keys (5018699AB) simply will not program. I triple checked the part number on the sealed bag.

Generic Y160-PT Keys:
DRB3 Program: Passed and works great
Self Program using two Master Keys: Passed and works great

MOPAR (5018699AB) Key (local locksmith confirmed it had a different chip than the Generic Y160-PT key)

I'm trying to document this incase others have similar trouble or findings.

Conclusion: MOPAR Master Key 5018699AB (which supposably supersedes 5018699AA) does not program.
If I want a MOPAR key, the only one left to try is an earlier 5018699AA key.

It can't be the programming procedure.
The generic Keys programmed perfectly using the same procedure with a DRB3. It's nearly impossible to screw up. The MOPAR Keys (5018699AB) simply will not program. I triple checked the part number on the sealed bag.

Generic Y160-PT Keys:
DRB3 Program: Passed and works great
Self Program using two Master Keys: Passed and works great

MOPAR (5018699AB) Key (local locksmith confirmed it had a different chip than the Generic Y160-PT key)

I'm trying to document this incase others have similar trouble or findings.

Conclusion: MOPAR Master Key 5018699AB (which supposably supersedes 5018699AA) does not program.
If I want a MOPAR key, the only one left to try is an earlier 5018699AA key.
You may be right. I know the 5018699AA keys I bought programmed with no issues. The link in post 9 is where I bought mine.

Wonder if your dealer used keys that a tech tried to program and returned to the parts department. They can only be programmed once.

This crossed my mind too. I provided the blank keys in their sealed MOPAR bag, ordered from:
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-master-key-5018699ab
I was there the entire time the bag was opened, keys cut to my VIN code, and during the programming attempt. The keys never left my sight.
IMG_5439 2.png

Maybe the keys are defective??? but all the keys of this type that I tried failed.
So, for anyone reading, don't buy the 5018699AB unless another member can confirm this part number works.

Reactions: Daryl
This crossed my mind too. I provided the blank keys in their sealed MOPAR bag, ordered from:
https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-master-key-5018699ab
I was there the entire time the bag was opened, keys cut to my VIN code, and during the programming attempt. The keys never left my sight.
View attachment 163980

Maybe the keys are defective??? but all the keys of this type that I tried failed.
So, for anyone reading, don't buy the 5018699AB unless another member can confirm this part number works.

Ran into the same problem recently when a friend that is a 25+ year Jeep Technician installed the module and enabled the SKIM in the PCM, but the factory grey keys and one generic key from Ace Hardware would not program. In my case... the conclusion was that the antenna or transmit receive circuit would\could not communicate with any of the keys. The module was returned to the dealer under warranty and exchanged with a new one. Waiting for available time to install the module and see if the keys can be programmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daryl
Ran into the same problem recently when a friend that is a 25+ year Jeep Technician installed the module and enabled the SKIM in the PCM, but the factory grey keys and one generic key from Ace Hardware would not program. In my case... the conclusion was that the antenna or transmit receive circuit would could not communicate with any of the keys. The module was returned to the dealer under warranty and exchanged with a new one. Waiting for available time to install the module and see if the keys can be programmed.
Let us know how it turns out.

I think I got pretty definitive results.
I ordered Mopar Key (5018699AA) and it programmed with the DRB3 perfectly.

Don't buy the the superseding part number: 5018699AB
I tried 4 keys and none worked.
Perhaps this is the reason others are running into issues with OEM keys lately.