What is the reasoning for factory side steps?

As someone who REPLACED the stock side steps that were MIA when I bought my 2004 Columbia Edition, I can tell you ONE important function of them - they keep the stone chips off of the fronts of your rear fender flares from stones that are kicked up from your front tires. I had to get my (otherwise PERFECT) Dark Graphite Metallic factory-painted fender flares repainted due to about a bubillion stone chips on the fronts of my rear flares. I was initially perplexed at how they got there, then figgered it out. I much prefer the look and functionality WITHOUT them, but I'd rather not have stone chips on my beautifully-painted flares! Those of you with Sahara flares might want to keep your stock side steps for the same reason...
Didnt think of stone chips on my pained flares! What is your color code for the flares? I like the look and would like to change my factory black painted flares.
Cheers

As someone who REPLACED the stock side steps that were MIA when I bought my 2004 Columbia Edition, I can tell you ONE important function of them - they keep the stone chips off of the fronts of your rear fender flares from stones that are kicked up from your front tires. I had to get my (otherwise PERFECT) Dark Graphite Metallic factory-painted fender flares repainted due to about a bubillion stone chips on the fronts of my rear flares. I was initially perplexed at how they got there, then figgered it out. I much prefer the look and functionality WITHOUT them, but I'd rather not have stone chips on my beautifully-painted flares! Those of you with Sahara flares might want to keep your stock side steps for the same reason...
I put clear vinyl on the front side of my rear painted flares and they stayed looking like new, even with my larger tires. The vinyl wasn't even visible unless you were looking for it.
IMAG0037 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).JPG

We cant drive on the road with our doors off :(

Just curious, have you actually been pulled over for no doors? Seems as long as you have a rear view and at least one side mirror the cops leave Jeeps alone...Or at least I've never had any issues. And there's never any shortage of Jeeps without doors driving around WA when the weather is nice. I have been pulled over, but not ticketed, for not having mud flaps TONS of times though. With each one of those stops it just seemed like they were looking for DUI or something else big. They would just suggest that I should get them installed and send me on my way.

1. The stone chip/mud guard function

2. Prevents door dings in a parking lot

3. Launching a boat in cold water I can step into them to keep my feet/shoes out of the cold water

4. Use them to kick dirt or snow off my boots before entering the jeep.

I don't think they have any crash safety function as they are optional.

They look best with sahara. I think that is what they were designed for. The moon mat pattern matches the sahara side moulding and the dimensions line up with the sahara moulding and wider fender flares.

Reactions: TheGanzman

3. Launching a boat in cold water I can step onto them to keep my feet/shoes out of the cold water

They look best with sahara. I think that is what they were designed for. The moon mat pattern matches the sahara side moulding and the dimensions line up with the sahara moulding and wider fender flares.

99% of Jeep drivers don't like them.
99% of Jeep passengers love them.
I don't think anyone likes the way they look, but practically eliminate parking lot door dings.

99% of Jeep drivers don't like them.
99% of Jeep passengers love them.
I don't think anyone likes the way they look, but practically eliminate parking lot door dings.
Good point on the door dings. Never even noticed none of my Jeeps have ever had them.

Just curious, have you actually been pulled over for no doors? Seems as long as you have a rear view and at least one side mirror the cops leave Jeeps alone...Or at least I've never had any issues. And there's never any shortage of Jeeps without doors driving around WA when the weather is nice. I have been pulled over, but not ticketed, for not having mud flaps TONS of times though. With each one of those stops it just seemed like they were looking for DUI or something else big. They would just suggest that I should get them installed and send me on my way.
Its in the traffic code I am pretty sure, some cops would ignore it but the last thing you want on an older vehicle is a yellow lickie worse still a red lickie because cops were curious!
All depends on the cop that tugs you and luck. They are having a purge at the moment with high lifts and oversize wheels/tyres but there are lots of them still about on the roads. You dont always hear about the ones who do get a defect notice.
I have read letters people have wrote to the Department of Transport stating that wranglers are made to go doorless but they just get sent the transport code. Tj has a wind shield that folds flat but even in many US states you cant drive around with it down, well you can I suppose until you get pulled over.

I have not seen a doorless jeep driving around except the really old ones and Mahindra jeeps along with rare beach buggies and Mini Mokes which were made without doors.

Only going on what I have been told about doorless and not personal experience but I am quite often wrong :)

Just curious, have you actually been pulled over for no doors? Seems as long as you have a rear view and at least one side mirror the cops leave Jeeps alone...Or at least I've never had any issues. And there's never any shortage of Jeeps without doors driving around WA when the weather is nice.
I'm not sure if you two are talking about the same WA? :rolleyes:

I use them for loading mountain bikes. I find it degrading to haul my own ladder on top.
I have looked at others but if it works!..... I did drill a number of big holes through them to encourage the mud that collects there to find a new home. I check them frequently hoping a couple of gold nuggets were trapped there. Not much luck yet.

Reactions: TJ Starting

3. Launching a boat in cold water I can step into them to keep my feet/shoes out of the cold water

What is the width of the Sahara flares? my side steps dont look like they stick past the flare width.

The cost to have my painted flares wrapped was a bit over the top so I didnt go ahead. Did you fold the vinyl under the flare or cut to outside shape.
I cut it to the outside shape. 3M 2080 vinyl is the same quality stuff the wrap shops use. $15 for a small roll (1'x5') on Ebay. You can buy thicker vinyl, but the 3M shapes and stretches to any surface with a little heat.