What is this AT shifter part called And where do I find one

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Trying to replace the bulb in my AT shifter housing. I broke the side off the white plastic part under where the shift indicator is. Plastic is heat damaged and broke very very easily.

What's it called? Where do I find one? And how the hell does it clip back in?

* Bonus question. How did you guys get the 194 led bulbs to fit in that white plastic piece? It appears as if I need to drill the hole out where the bulb goes and then figure out some way to get the bulb to stay in. Electrical tape? Glue? It needs to be removable to replace the bulb later. Or a different LED?

20200205_181159.jpg

20200205_181121.jpg

That is part of the shift indicator assembly and not a separate part. You need the whole mess. The standard 194 fits in the black socket which is a friction fit into the housing.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I recently bought a whole shifter mechanism off of ebay for like $60 to pirate that bezel\indicator piece and the t-handle off of it.

Mine was all fucked just like yours. Mine looks good as new now.

The metal looked all rusted, as it came from back east, but what I wanted was perfect because it hasn't baked in the south west sun for years.

Damn. I was hoping I could get a junkyard to just sell me the white part. Guess that's a losing proposition.

No difference early to late TJ?

Last edited:
The part the bulb goes in on mine is cracked. I put a zip tie around it to tighten it up. It was still a little loose, so I wrapped 1 strip of electrical tape around the socket. Now it stays in nice and tight.

That is part of the shift indicator assembly and not a separate part. You need the whole mess. The standard 194 fits in the black socket which is a friction fit into the housing.

The friction part into the assembly is sized wrong. The bulb is to big for the hole. It won't even go in. Even the leds on the bulb (the little square lights) hits on the hole in the white part before entering. My 194's have 5 LED's if that matters. I can get them to plug into the black socket. But only one led comes on. I can try another led I suppose. Maybe it's a bad bulb? I'll try that next.

So ya. a twofold problem. The bulb won't work when properly fitted. And the bulb won't fit into the housing on the white part.

The friction part into the assembly is sized wrong. The bulb is to big for the hole. It won't even go in. Even the leds on the bulb (the little square lights) hits on the hole in the white part before entering. My 194's have 5 LED's if that matters. I can get them to plug into the black socket. But only one led comes on. I can try another led I suppose. Maybe it's a bad bulb? I'll try that next.

So ya. a twofold problem. The bulb won't work when properly fitted. And the bulb won't fit into the housing on the white part.
I've installed many 194's in that socket and in the housing. The black socket is a friction fit into the base. If the bulb won't go in the hole, that is not the fault of the socket or the hole it fits into.

I've installed many 194's in that socket and in the housing. The black socket is a friction fit into the base. If the bulb won't go in the hole, that is not the fault of the socket or the hole it fits into.

AGreed. Is there a smaller light than the 194 to fit in there? It's just the corners/edges of the LED's on the boards that are keeping it from entering the light hole.

@moab , i have a green LED like this in mine currently.

In the past I had a cool white like this , but it has now been discontinued.

You mentioned heat damage. Does the opening of the hole look damaged, maybe smaller?

The lamp fits in the socket. But it doesnt fit up into the housing on the white plastic piece.

Ill try that one below.
I had the same problem when I started changing to LED bulbs. After buying one that wouldn’t fit I measured the stock bulb and started checked the dimensions of led bulbs on Amazon. The one I ended up buying is made by Anourney-194 led, ASIN B07DB7W78P

Trying to replace the bulb in my AT shifter housing. I broke the side off the white plastic part under where the shift indicator is. Plastic is heat damaged and broke very very easily.

What's it called? Where do I find one? And how the hell does it clip back in?

* Bonus question. How did you guys get the 194 led bulbs to fit in that white plastic piece? It appears as if I need to drill the hole out where the bulb goes and then figure out some way to get the bulb to stay in. Electrical tape? Glue? It needs to be removable to replace the bulb later. Or a different LED?

View attachment 138651

View attachment 138650
DON’T drill out anything, measure your stock bulb and find a led bulb that is the same width. Could you superglue the white plastic piece back together and glue a piece of scrap plastic on the outside to help strengthen and hold it together?

Last edited: